Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-22-2013, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Wright and JD are owned by the same company now. The stamped decks are fine - as rugged as the other makers. But yes, their support and dealers do suck really bad, just couldn't pass up the deal on this demo. First and probably last green paint I buy but we are happy with the efficiency of the stander, so I'll probably look into grandstand next year.
I would check out the Scag V-Ride as well. The Toro really puts the operator back behind the wheels which can cause the front end to come up on hill climbs. I have the V-Ride myself. Here's a link http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=389180 to mods I made to my 36 V-Ride. Look close and you'll see the little scorpion that came out from under my mower.

I also tried the Ferris/Snapper Pro and Wright Sentar Sport versions as well. The only issue with stand on mowers is they are all really heavy compared to hydro WB's. I would really like to see someone come out with a super slick WB with a super easy to use fold up Velke built in. Walker had come out with a built in unit but it cost so much that nobody could afford it. Here's one on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walker-mower...-/251342647353.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just landed a little patio job - pretty excited for the change of pace. We'll kick it off in a few weeks and I'll keep you posted. We don't do too much hardscaping so this is a nice addon fall work.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This thread is looking like it's going into dormancy for the winter. I thought you Sox fans would get a kick out of my post on the Saint Louis guys thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...postcount=1253. I'm from Augusta myself so I'm not some band wagon hopper.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Few finishing touches left...but you get the idea...
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Love the cobbles

Now that the year is almost wrapped up, how did everyone do
Old 11-18-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks - so many "other guys" around here don't use any edging at all - brick walkway falling right apart 2nd season butted right up to lawn- it ticks me off when I see it. Or large pieces of slate oddly arranged in stone dust with 14" gaps, hahhaha.

The year went okay for us, one guy quit mid-season, one guy lost license mid season, etc etc. But growth is up and I've got a good supervisor on board now that is honest, hardworking, and knows his stuff (hard to find around here). He also comes with a higher price tag, lol. We had to make a bunch of repairs and buy new equipment but we are sitting in a pretty good place right now overall and should be able to finally relax a little bit next season (ya right!!). After doing a bunch of business management research, I think this current stage is the trickiest to handle. Not big enough to justify administrative help but bigger than I can handle alone. Between customer calls and meetings, selling to new leads, typing estimates, doing our fert/weed apps, filling in on a crew when we need it, running for parts, etc. It's a lot bit crazy for me. hahaha....anyways, we are heading in a good direction. It's hard to handle growth responsibly.

Jason
Old 01-09-2014, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
Thanks - so many "other guys" around here don't use any edging at all - brick walkway falling right apart 2nd season butted right up to lawn- it ticks me off when I see it. Or large pieces of slate oddly arranged in stone dust with 14" gaps, hahhaha.

The year went okay for us, one guy quit mid-season, one guy lost license mid season, etc etc. But growth is up and I've got a good supervisor on board now that is honest, hardworking, and knows his stuff (hard to find around here). He also comes with a higher price tag, lol. We had to make a bunch of repairs and buy new equipment but we are sitting in a pretty good place right now overall and should be able to finally relax a little bit next season (ya right!!). After doing a bunch of business management research, I think this current stage is the trickiest to handle. Not big enough to justify administrative help but bigger than I can handle alone. Between customer calls and meetings, selling to new leads, typing estimates, doing our fert/weed apps, filling in on a crew when we need it, running for parts, etc. It's a lot bit crazy for me. hahaha....anyways, we are heading in a good direction. It's hard to handle growth responsibly.

Jason
How's the winter going for everyone? I got done my FT job with the SD now working a per diem job plus plowing (glad I got the plow truck so far!). Putting some bigger bids in this spring and feeling uncomfortable and excited at the same time. Also any one know who sells tree length firewood around here (Greater Portland delivery area)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Beaulieu logging out of biddeford.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're thinking of selling the firewood, good luck. Unless you have a processor it really doesn't make much sense number wise. It costs around $120 per cord tree length here, once you add up your time cutting and splitting and delivering, you're making low low money. They get $225-250 delivered.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. For now just looking for personal use and get a little extra to plink around with. The family has a wood lot up north but shipping tree length from there isn't exactly cost effective. I wouldn't mind trying out a processor some day.
Posted via Mobile Device