Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Filling up bags is a stupid waste of time... give me a chopper that will shoot a pile of leaves into a truck,,, make it portable,,, w/out a hose for plugging up and user friendly and you have a machine... I would rather use a lawn tractor with bags on than a stupid vacuum...

The people who engineer this junk obviously have no idea about EFFICINCY...
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a HPV 8 horse vac does awesome on dry leaves and little things with surface area. Not so on twigs or anything wet just clogs up...I dont have a bagger on my ZTR but for fall cleanups I windrow everything to the curb and then take one pass down the curb and it sucks everything up and load it on to trailer...I also have a 9 horse chipper but will only use it on branches or big stuff not something I would want to haul or maneuver daily. Looking forward to the day I can have a debris loader. The homeowner versions with the built in chipper are nice for homeowners but not something that you would want to take to work with you daily

2013 Dodge Quad cab w/hemi
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Extened Cab
Toro ZMaster 400series
MTD PRO 48"
Kaufman 5x10 w/sides
Landscapers Trailer 12x6.5 w/side gate
Echo PAS multi tool
Various other Echo hand helds
Little Giant HPV Vac
Troy Bilt Horse RotoTiller
Honda Mini Cultivator
JD 170
Toro 21"
Old 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a lawn vacuum years ago. Parker made it. Hard to push==particularly when the bag was nearly full. OK on dry leaves; pulverized them good...but plugged up if any twigs or wet leaves. Bag with the big zipper was difficult and messy to open as I was on my hands and knees working the zipper. Pulled the crushed debris out with my hands onto a tarp. Then pulled the tarp onto my truck. Dumped into bed--repeat. At times there was no room on the truck for the vacuum; I had to chain it to a tree and come back after dumping the leaves.

If I did it again, I would use the mower and dump the bag onto a tarp--tie the corners together and wrestle the tarp onto the truck. Repeat until ten tarps were on the truck. Tie down.

Better still--get a leaf loader and put plywood sides on my truck.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by integrityman View Post
Get a mulch kit for your commercial mower and let that be that. They work really really well.
Exactly messing with sucking machines of any size just increases time to do a simple job.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Exactly messing with sucking machines of any size just increases time to do a simple job.
That doesn't work with leaves in the north, too wet and heavy you can't leave them in the yard to sit over the winter it will kill the grass.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I take my ZT and mulch everything into the center then you can A blow it onto a tarp(get mesh one) or you can bag it and dump it onto a tarp or int a bag. Your main thing is to mulch it way down. A mower needs to hit it several times before it really small. So I am trying for a 7-1 ratio on size. If you mow leaves that have not been mulched it will take you forever because of emptying bags into bags

I'm a single partime player but I put a tarp in the back of my truck or trailer. Put all the leaves in it and when I dump it I just pull out the tarp and I am done.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We mow everything then attach the Accelerator to the zt with a monster leaf bag and go over it until it is full then dump it onto our trailer.
13 Husqavarna 323
Accelerator 4.2 cu
7x16 Sure-Trac open trailer
http://www.360lawncarenc.com/
Old 11-17-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
That doesn't work with leaves in the north, too wet and heavy you can't leave them in the yard to sit over the winter it will kill the grass.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
+1 on that. I love my Billy goat. Does great. Even on acorns. Granted with the acorns you have to dump more often to maintain a higher suction rate. Does well on wet leaves as long as you have moderation on how much you try to intake at once. Once you maximize efficiency with the Billy goat you'll love it.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love reading how people do leaves in different regions of the country. It's just entertaining reading some and know that it would never work for your situation. My favorite is ( just mulch them). How do you mulch them with a mower if you can't get a mower to them? Everything is different all over the country.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
I love reading how people do leaves in different regions of the country. It's just entertaining reading some and know that it would never work for your situation. My favorite is ( just mulch them). How do you mulch them with a mower if you can't get a mower to them? Everything is different all over the country.
Posted via Mobile Device
Blow them into an area you can mulch them...

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!