Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2004, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Gravely ZT1540 or Cub Z-Force 42

I am looking for a residential zero turn and have narrowed it down to the Gravely ZT1540 or the Cub Cadet Z-Force 42 any input is appreciated. I can't go any wider than 42" (gate48") and am leaning towards the Gravely since it has options the Cub does not ie: mulching kit and striping kit. Thanks
Old 07-20-2004, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Re: Gravely ZT1540 or Cub Z-Force 42

Quote:
Originally posted by copter
I am looking for a residential zero turn and have narrowed it down to the Gravely ZT1540 or the Cub Cadet Z-Force 42 any input is appreciated. I can't go any wider than 42" (gate48") and am leaning towards the Gravely since it has options the Cub does not ie: mulching kit and striping kit. Thanks
Copter,
Just a homeowner here. I can't provide any input on the Gravely, but I can on the Cub Z-Force 42. I bought one the 1st year the Z-Force was introduced. It came with a 15hp Kawasaki. The engine/deck width combo seemed to be matched OK outside of the springtime cuttings (had to double cut). I did not care for the deck lift handle set-up between your legs. The ride was horrible, even after tire deflation. Had it back to the dealer twice for pulley and belt problems. Also had problems starting due to the combo. accelerator/choke. Had to make a few throttle cable and carbeurator adjustments. Who knows, I may have had a lemon, but I sold it after one season of use and bought an Exmark Lazer Z HP. Hyundai to Mercedes, LOL!!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, I was kind of leaning towards the Gravely and I can't find any negative feedback on the 1540 (or positive)
It seems as if many people own the Gravely 1540 they don't talk much about them, this could be either a good or bad sign.
Maybe I'll just spend another $1,100 and get the 42" Hustler Fastrak
Old 07-22-2004, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I was kind of leaning towards the Gravely and I can't find any negative feedback on the 1540 (or positive)
It seems as if many people own the Gravely 1540 they don't talk much about them, this could be either a good or bad sign.
Maybe I'll just spend another $1,100 and get the 42" Hustler Fastrak
Copter,
If you are considering spending another grand or so and you could fit 2 additional inches (44" deck) through your gate, consider the Exmark Lazer CT.

http://www.exmark.com/LazerZCT.htm

Happy researching/shopping!!

GripB
Old 07-22-2004, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

That is one nice mower! Do you know the price? Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Gravely 1540 is a nice sturdy homeowner machine. We have sold about 8 of them this year, and not had any come back with a problem. They seem to be a pretty good machine for the money. I know of another dealer nearby here, who I believe has sold about 20 of them.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That is one nice mower! Do you know the price? Thanks
When I was shopping dealers for my Lazer Z HP, I saw the Lazer CT 18hp Kohler with the 44" deck priced from $4,399.00 - $4,699.00. I did alot of research also, and went with Exmark. I am very satisfied. Also, the majority of lanscapers I see in my travels (I'm on the road a bit) have Exmarks on their trailers...that's saying something! Hope this helps.

p.s. - Look at the thread in the homeowners forum titled "Homeowner Stripes", that's my property, to see the Exmark cut quality.

Last edited by GripB; 07-23-2004 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I just got off the phone with 2 local Exmark dealers and they both quoted me $4,999.99 for the 44 CT, it would be a little overkill for my small yard anyway as much as I would love to have one I think the Gravely ZT 1540 would be the sensible way to go. All the input I have received on the 1540 has been pretty much positive. I thought it was interesting one of the Exmark dealers told me Home Depot is going to be carrying the Lazer Z CT.
GripB those stripes are some of the nicest I have seen! Come on over here to Md and do mine!
Old 07-23-2004, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I would really consider going with the fastrack or mini-fastrak.

I bought my 18hp/52" fastrak with Honda Engine for $4550, which included armrests. The machine is built really strong, and cuts great.

Good Luck!
Old 11-17-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Still looking for a gravely 1540 let me know i'm in va 201-602-1108