Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

spreading pre emergent in flower beds

i no someone has made a gadget to spread pre emergent in flower beds besides using push spreader
Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This page has a few examples.
http://earthway.com/category/hand-spreaders.ashx

It takes a bit of trial and error to learn how to apply the correct rate.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maruyama, Solo and Stihl make engine drive backpack granule blowers. Takes some trial and error to figure those out too. But way faster than cranking or pushing. You also have the ability to blow granules up or down steep embankments with ground covers on them.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-17-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Maruyama, Solo and Stihl make engine drive backpack granule blowers. Takes some trial and error to figure those out too. But way faster than cranking or pushing. You also have the ability to blow granules up or down steep embankments with ground covers on them.
Vortex works well too. I had them retro fit my lesco push spreader with their unit. Not cheap but it does work great. Mobility of the back pack would be a big advantage though.

http://www.vortexspreader.com/
Old 11-17-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anything on wheels is a impediment with my terrain and how landscapes are laid out on that terrain. A Vortex would be the cat's meow on flat land with lots of big beds. I cannot imagine walking through the middle of a landscaped bed cranking a spreader. Efficiency would be to walk along the edge of it and blow in, I know about the use of backpack granule spreaders because in another time, I would have to get fertilizers or preemergents up a slope too steep to even safely walk on. Those slopes were over 50 ft from top to bottom. So I would blow from the top and blow from the bottom for even coverage. The machine would be able to propel granules up to 50 ft running at full throttle. I would also use it to spread lawns because to clean the overspray off of the street and sidewalks just shut off the granule hopper, then blow. That is what a 70 CC Kawasaki engine made before the EPA got to it could do. An old Maruyama mister/spreader is a beast.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Anything on wheels is a impediment with my terrain and how landscapes are laid out on that terrain. A Vortex would be the cat's meow on flat land with lots of big beds. I cannot imagine walking through the middle of a landscaped bed cranking a spreader. Efficiency would be to walk along the edge of it and blow in, I know about the use of backpack granule spreaders because in another time, I would have to get fertilizers or preemergents up a slope too steep to even safely walk on. Those slopes were over 50 ft from top to bottom. So I would blow from the top and blow from the bottom for even coverage. The machine would be able to propel granules up to 50 ft running at full throttle. I would also use it to spread lawns because to clean the overspray off of the street and sidewalks just shut off the granule hopper, then blow. That is what a 70 CC Kawasaki engine made before the EPA got to it could do. An old Maruyama mister/spreader is a beast.

That's how I use mine. On thin strips of turf I use it as well and do exactly the same thing to blow the granules off. It's a great machine. Florida is definitely "flat land" pretty sure if I got on a step ladder I could see Florida Gardner on the other coast