Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
My trimmer is a Stihl 4-mix with the flip up gas cap. Best trimmer I've ever owned. Lower tone to the motor. Better torque. Gas cap is quick and effective. Yeah, it has a little learning curve. But it's a better cap.

I had a Toro t-bar WB and never liked it. Bought it new and wore it out. (OK, beat it to death is more like it.) I do like my new Exmark's ECS controls though.

Something I thought was the ultimate flub was the Puegot diesel in my 455. Nobody liked them, especially the mechanics. But mine's been so sweet. Purrs like a kitten. Much quieter than the Kubota or Yanmar they now use. I just keep the timing belt changed and it doesn't disintegrate.

Even though the corn fuel program wasn't a big success, I'm in favor of it. It finally got the price of corn to where my neighbors won't have to sell their farms. It's not been that long ago they were selling stoves that burned corn for fuel.

I can't think of anything that was an embarrassment to the entire industry. It's not like we have the Edsel to point to. That was unquestionably the worse car ever made.
I've been through 10-15 of those damn gas caps. If you don't twist it on all the way and lock it, then the plastic center breaks and won't secure the cap. The next thing u know the side of your body is covered in gas and half the tank emptied out on someone's lawn. Garbage, the machine is great, but the caps are garbage...

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 10-30-2013, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

cub cadet z wing !! sucks ..
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In looking back at this thread I feel I was being a little hard on standers.... I actually think that they are are good for certain applications and there are a number of companies that make nice ones...... I am man enough to admit when I might have made a mistake...
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
I don't put oil in my stomach so why would I put corn in my Lawnmower!!!!!!!!!! And..... great point about the gas cans.... I am lucky enough to have very generous In-Laws who bequeathed some oldies but goodies to me.. Here's another one that I know I will get slammed for but here it goes...... STANDERS????????????? Why? Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful standers on the market that give great cuts, Wright and Gravely come to mind. But why? In all honesty(and I have done extensive research on the subject being in the industry for over 15 years) the only thing a stander does better than a rider is mow hills. And the only thing a stander does better than a walk-behind is give you a ride(sulky..... duh!) Yeah, I guess they free up a little bit of space on the trailer but enough to take the industry by storm? I mean, come on! Listen to this quote from the May/June issue of one of my favorite magazines, Green Industry Pros..... "Campbell is also seeing strong acceptance of the stand-on concept among his younger customers. To them, standing up is something different and "cool." And because these younger contractors are still relatively new to the business, they aren't as stuck on the idea of sit-down mowing." Huh? Sorry, but I don't care what age somebody is..... Productivity and comfort are paramount when mowing all day and just like "The Twindstorm Dually"......... This FAD will surely pass......
I don't know how it is where you are but in the Mountains around here, a stander is the way to go. 30% of my lawns can't be mowed with my ztr. There is no way I would stand on a velke for that long. With the addition of a stander my walk behind is only used on three lawns. I do understand where you are coming from, my dad mowed for 17 years and thought a walk behind was junk and too hard to use. He mowed all that time with two Scag STHMs (those big three wheeled mowers over 8 feet long). He thought it was the best thing.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 10-31-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
In looking back at this thread I feel I was being a little hard on standers.... I actually think that they are are good for certain applications and there are a number of companies that make nice ones...... I am man enough to admit when I might have made a mistake...
This one will shock you but its true. I just bought a brand new Bad Boy Stander. My dealer wouldn't take my Great Dane Stander in on a trade. When I bought my ztr they even took an old Craftsman garden tractor, but they were afraid they could not sell a stander. He said he only had three customers that owned some type of stander including me. He chose to take a broken down POS Kubota ZD21 that cost me a $1000 to fix every time I went to the Kubota dealer. Lucky me. He says that people that own standers can't leave without them and people that don't own them don't see the point. I am baffled. I started out with walk behinds and upgraded to a stander and am hooked. I do use a sit down every chance I get.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I agree with that one. I can't count how many moron clients I've had request it for underneath mulch, useless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you serious. Are you gonna install landscape rock on top of bare dirt? What a mess
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-15-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
Are you serious. Are you gonna install landscape rock on top of bare dirt? What a mess
He said "mulch"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
I don't know how it is where you are but in the Mountains around here, a stander is the way to go. 30% of my lawns can't be mowed with my ztr. There is no way I would stand on a velke for that long. With the addition of a stander my walk behind is only used on three lawns. I do understand where you are coming from, my dad mowed for 17 years and thought a walk behind was junk and too hard to use. He mowed all that time with two Scag STHMs (those big three wheeled mowers over 8 feet long). He thought it was the best thing.
Dude I grew up on those scag sthms they pretty much were the best thing. I remember them before they were hydro stat too... Had gears to shift
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Green bark mulch

Have to agree with landscape fabric, and with Briggs being junk.

Had one in my sander, blew out the bottom end with less than 700 hours

The one on our debris loader has been re machined twice because of a "defect" and has still gone through more than 26 push rods and the top end (mainly valves) has been gone through 6 times this year alone. Motor has less than 100 hours on it and will be replaced with a Honda next year
Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Asian jasmine.