Register free!

Old 11-17-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How will the tiff grand look cutting with a reel every couple of days and plenty of chemicals and water on it? What about a rotary mower at let's say an 1"?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No need to pour on the water and chemicals. However, rotary mowing will make the turf look bad as well as open it up to weeds. Less chemical inputs are needed on reel mowed turf in my experience. A rotary at 1" will work if your ground is countertop flat. No promises on how much it will tear up and thin out the lawn. I like rotary mowers for renovation jobs. There, I use it to tear out and vacuum up the excessive material in the lawn. A normally graded lot will do a lot better with a reel, preferably one with front and rear rollers. My preference for a greens/sports turf grade reel mower comes from how it will track over variations in the ground with less scalping vs a homeowner or landscape grade reel. Most of the lawns I mow with my reel are ones that have been condemned as too uneven to mow with a reel. That is because a Tru-Cut will not work on anything other than countertop flat lawns.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-18-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm hoping the grading will be really smooth. I'll have to check it when it's time to lay sod. I own a trucut with a roller on the front and a exmark 21" mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I roll the topsoil a couple times then fluff it with a 36" rake before the sod is put on. A lot of people roll the grass after, but all that ever does for me is put ruts in the dirt. Be sure not to paint yourself in a corner when installing so you don't end up having to walk on the lawn. Try your best not to step on the lawn for 5-6 weeks (or until the grass doesn't mush down when you step on it). Also be sure to take an extra couple hours with the grading. You want to take out any dips and Swales in the yard. Grade, then roll, step back and get down low to look at the level of the ground. If you see an area (say 10'x10') that isn't PERFECTLY laser level with the rest of the lawn... Fix it... It's a nightmare to do bc by this time you will be sore and ready to throw on the grass and be done with it, but it makes a huge difference when reel mowing. Rolls of sod are much easier to install, just be sure to not run over the previous strip of grass with the machine tracks. If you use cut pieces make sure you push the pieces together tightly and secure them with lawn staples.

^thats the very OCD way to get a perfect lawn

I only cut my lawn every 5-7 days with a tru-cut. It's cut at 3\4" and looks incredible.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!