Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

96 ford F250 2wd 460

What mpg would you expect when pulling a tandom axle 17 ft open trailer with debris and a couple 21 in mowers in flat terrain mostly city driving.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

96 ford F250 2wd 460

I would say 6-10mpg. With the 460. My dad had a 350 dump 5 speed and only got 6. And he never towed. Yet he had 4x4

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Man those numbers seem low to me! I am not stomping on it either.

I am getting about 7.7 and thought this new to me rig would be in the 10-12mpg range.

Does anyone get 10+ mpg with a similar trailer and use and if so what truck?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

96 ford F250 2wd 460

My guess -9mpg
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

my dodge 1/2 ton with a 318 pulling a 18ft trailer and a 1500lbs mower got 9 to 10. A 454 not towing only gets 10-12mpg and ford will be worse. I am going to say 10 tops empty and 7-9 towing. If you want better you need to go diesel. My 3500 dully with a 6.5 diesel pulling 8k in weight in nothing but hills got 9.5 mpg. I have a 4:56 gear ratio so my diesel is worse than most. If you go diesel you can get 13-16 mpg towing.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Within reason why does it matter? i assume you are buying a truck to do a job to turn a profit right? If this truck suits your needs otherwise go for it. Say you figure on it burning $40 per day working you route and it turns out to burn $55 per day charge an extra $2-3 etc.... for each job you do.

I dont mean to come off like an A** but Im sick of people asking how many miles per gallon something gets when they need it to do a specific job. You can't do it with a 4 cylinder Nissan

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpocket View Post
Within reason why does it matter? i assume you are buying a truck to do a job to turn a profit right? If this truck suits your needs otherwise go for it. Say you figure on it burning $40 per day working you route and it turns out to burn $55 per day charge an extra $2-3 etc.... for each job you do.

I dont mean to come off like an A** but Im sick of people asking how many miles per gallon something gets when they need it to do a specific job. You can't do it with a 4 cylinder Nissan
oh i bet you could
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

With that setup, you need to be thinking in terms of Gallons/mile, not miles/gal.
Seriously though, I used a setup just like that for one mowing season. It has been many years ago, but as I recall, I was getting 6-7MPG towing my trailer, loaded with a ZTR, 36" walkbehind, 21" mower, and typical handhelds.
I only had a 25 gal tank on the truck, and usually filled up at the gas station every day before heading out on my routes.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

What truck did you change to and with what result.

I am in a position to possibly sell this truck, but don't have to, for a decent profit and move to another truck if I want.

This forum is partly for seeking advice from others who have tried different things and have real world experience. The small difference in cost for gas per day is not going to make or break my business. Trucks are depreciating assets and it may make sense to get as much resale value out of this truck now and move it into something newer.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I got rid of it, and started using Ford F250's, with the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel engine. Very reliable, strong runners/pullers, and fuel mileage ran around 11-13MPG, sometimes better. I bought all of my Powerstrokes with high mileage on them, usually over 225,000 miles. They had lots of troublefree life left, and were priced very reasonable, due to the high miles.
I had 18 of these trucks, (1997-2001 models), for my crews over a 12 year period. I would look for a good used Powerstroke. The older ones are pretty cheap now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felken View Post
What truck did you change to and with what result.

I am in a position to possibly sell this truck, but don't have to, for a decent profit and move to another truck if I want.

This forum is partly for seeking advice from others who have tried different things and have real world experience. The small difference in cost for gas per day is not going to make or break my business. Trucks are depreciating assets and it may make sense to get as much resale value out of this truck now and move it into something newer.