Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2013, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demar002 View Post
Hello All. New to the group. Would appreciate any help. Please and Thank you. I purchased a Dolmar late last year. I have used it a total of 4 to 6 times. Very low hours and very low work load (Small yard) Leaves only. Have not had it run continusoulsy for over 1 hour. Ever. I noticed the last two times I have used it that after about 20 minutes I am loosing some power - about 15 to 20%. It doesnt bog down when at full power, but there is definately less RPM. It will eventually "accelerate" back up to near maximim power, but that happens every 15 minutes or so. I am probably not doing the right thing in terms of gas. When I am finished using the machine I just shut it off until I am ready to use it again. I have not gotten to 20 hours so i have not changed the oil. The gas is 89 oct. It starts immediately. I never have a problem. It never stalls and it never sputters. It concerns me that I loose power intermittently.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is my first backpack blower.
when it does this play with your choke a little and maybe press your primer bulb. On my trimmer I find that if my filter floats to the top of the gas it will suck some air in the line and mess with you. I don't have the bp so I don't know how its setup. Also check the filter for oil. If you have oil in the filter it will screw up performance.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demar002 View Post
Hello All. New to the group. Would appreciate any help. Please and Thank you. I purchased a Dolmar late last year. I have used it a total of 4 to 6 times. Very low hours and very low work load (Small yard) Leaves only. Have not had it run continusoulsy for over 1 hour. Ever. I noticed the last two times I have used it that after about 20 minutes I am loosing some power - about 15 to 20%. It doesnt bog down when at full power, but there is definately less RPM. It will eventually "accelerate" back up to near maximim power, but that happens every 15 minutes or so. I am probably not doing the right thing in terms of gas. When I am finished using the machine I just shut it off until I am ready to use it again. I have not gotten to 20 hours so i have not changed the oil. The gas is 89 oct. It starts immediately. I never have a problem. It never stalls and it never sputters. It concerns me that I loose power intermittently.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. This is my first backpack blower.
The cheapest and easiest thing to do other than inspect it and make sure everything looks ok, and since you didnt use any when you stored it, is to run some Sta-bil through it. It does wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&SFTW View Post
valk, how would you compare the power with your other blower?

Overall, the Dolmar is adequate for everything but Spring cleanups and Fall leaves.
I recently replaced my RM 8001 with a RM 7500. Both RMs will outblow my Dolmar...with the 7500 having at least 20% more power over my old 8001 & prolly closer to 1/3 more than my Dolmar.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-18-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

still waiting for honda to make a backpack blower. i love my honda trimmer.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I'm TOTALLY with ya! And, it would need to have a SIGNIFICANT power boost compared to my 75.6cc 4-cycle Dolmar to exceed a RM 7500...let alone an 8500.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-18-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I've never used the other blowers you have, but I have to say, I have found the dolmar powerful enough there was never any time I couldn't do a yard because of the amount of power, unlike the other blowers I've used. I would, however, like to get one of the more powerful blowers.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Time/years will decide how reliable my Dolmar BP will be, but as stated it is quite adequate for mow/trim/blow daily use = Apr-Oct here. But for leaf cleanups in Fall (moving large piles/walls of leaves) and especially Spring (when the leaves are usually wet/matted down)...power is your best friend for saving a lot of time. Better to back off the the gas for detail work...than to wish you had more power at WOT during these times.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-19-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Time/years will decide how reliable my Dolmar BP will be, but as stated it is quite adequate for mow/trim/blow daily use = Apr-Oct here. But for leaf cleanups in Fall (moving large piles/walls of leaves) and especially Spring (when the leaves are usually wet/matted down)...power is your best friend for saving a lot of time. Better to back off the the gas for detail work...than to wish you had more power at WOT during these times.
there was a chart someone had up and the dolmar has the same power as everyone else except the new 8500 and the shindi.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

B/tw the Dolmar and my RM 7500, the KING is the 7500 by a fair+ margin. THOUGH, I will run the Dolmar the majority of my upcoming season(s) (Apr-Oct) as it will do what I need and more. The Dolmar starts easier in the AM...and will run more cleanly, with no 2-stroke stench. But it does not have the 'nads of the RM...in fact it ain't even close.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
there was a chart someone had up and the dolmar has the same power as everyone else except the new 8500 and the shindi.
there's no doubt in my mind the dolmar is the most powerful blower out there except the aforementioned "big boy" or blowers. I finished a yard, having never blown it before, in over half an hour less time than the property owner could with the biggest stihl. color me impressed. not only that, but for summer chores where you don't need full throttle, it sips the fuel quite lightly.

I would love to get my hands on one of these 7500 and 8500 blowers, though.