Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bent deck? Let me tell you that my new ferris 2013 3100z mows the roughest lot around . I don't think anyone can beat mowing over cypress knees and low swamp grounds.I have put this machine to major abuse and still keeps trucking along. One tuff machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many hours?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the deck was bent and not only bent but folded in on impact with a low lying tree stump. It folded, I was not on the machine but was present on impact. The mower was going about 8mph when it hit the unseen stump and instantly killed the blades. I was talking to the client explaining to him that the mower had individual wheel motors when it happened. I could not believe that it got hooked on it and then folded. My hustler z has hit stumps bigger than that and the person on the mower would jolt forward and almost come off but deck did not even have a dent. When I replicated the decks, the welder said that the hustlers deck had far more braces and a brace between the leading edge and the blade compartment which is why it held up better also it was a heavier guage steel. The new deck is 7 guage steel with more steel braces than the original hustler deck and has a steel brace from leading edge all the way to the blade compartment. This new deck that I got made is what the original one should have been built like. I have spent tons repairing and shipping down all the parts. My conditions are really rough, I will be posting pictures and video of some of the properties we take care of as soon as my new equipment arrives. Should have pics up at the end of next week so you guys can appreciate smooth graded yards and properties.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 1500. I am a school teacher and have some of my students for employees. So my machine gets used by 17 and 18 yr old kids. (So you can imagine the abuse it takes.) I had a small hydro leak but that is all. Not a single problem other than that. 706.8 hours on it. I mow a lot of rough terrain...old cemeteries and such.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Ferris Suspension

Pleased to report from Australia that we have had only 3 suspension repairs during our time with Ferris .Considering the number of all models used here including 5100's on roadside duty in Kangaroo Island this speaks for itself.
One Is3100 that fell off a small ledge and sheared the supsension pivot took
just 15 minutes to repair...we have some really bad terrain here that renders most front decks un-useable. I would suggest that premature wear would be from excessive speed and high speed fwd-reverse movements ....some operators are always going to be harder on machines than others.
We dont regret the investment we have made in Ferris and the fact that we can offer customers both sprung and unsprung versions cements the brand
as a leader in durabilty and comfort and value.Other major brands here have
had a free ride on price gouging and bad support over the last 20 years and we needed a third player to break that monopoly.. ..now Gravely and Hustler
are after Toro and Deere as well and everyone has to perform. I look forward to toasting my 1000'th Ferris sale here in the near future.