Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2008, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgrassguy View Post
I would never recommend sharing any tanks for products! Even if Lesco has a tank cleaner....it is VERY hard to clean a tank and lines that good.

Not true.
Once you understand even a modicum of chemistry, the proper cleaning of a spray tank is not only easy, when done properly there are no off-target effects.
I have been in this industry for approaching twenty years and have worked with both C3 and C4 turfgrasses at a multitude of sites.
I have never had an off-target effect and I have used primarily one rig for all of my applications.
Learn how the different pumps work, know your equipment, know your chemicals and you won't have a problem.
I was going to say the same thing but you beat me too it. Well said. I've used one tank for all apps. Never I'll repeat ever have I had a problem. Where do you guys get your info? Guys who sell tank sprayers? Your lucky if 2-4d kills a dandelion let alone a tree The big feared Glyphosphate (round up) was originally a PGR. Lots of fear on here.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Until I know exactly what I'm doing, which I'm pretty sure will be a very long time from now, I think I'll stick to the better safe than sorry idea.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
I was going to say the same thing but you beat me too it. Well said. I've used one tank for all apps. Never I'll repeat ever have I had a problem. Where do you guys get your info? Guys who sell tank sprayers? Your lucky if 2-4d kills a dandelion let alone a tree The big feared Glyphosphate (round up) was originally a PGR. Lots of fear on here.

I agree, clean the tank out a few times and flush the hoses real good. When I worked at the co-op I sprayed thousands of acres of fields with the same sprayer. You just have to run water through the system and clean it. Depending on the chemical sometimes tank cleaner is necessary.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVracer View Post
I agree, clean the tank out a few times and flush the hoses real good. When I worked at the co-op I sprayed thousands of acres of fields with the same sprayer. You just have to run water through the system and clean it. Depending on the chemical sometimes tank cleaner is necessary.

Henry B,

I have been in the chemical business since 95 and also have an agronomy degree so I guess I would say that I am VERY COMFORTABLE with my knowledge and experience. But I still do not share tanks! Too much risk in my mind! I don't care what you know or how much you know...when you share tanks...you are asking for trouble IMO!

The only tanks I put chem in is my PG and BP sprayers. I have a BP for every product (which is only 3) 1 for herbs, 1 for insect and 1 for Gly.

I never cross them up so rinsing isn't an issue!

ATV,

Same here! Worked for the Co-op for about 6 years through HS and then College and full time for a coulple years.

Dealing with corn and beans is much different then spraying a lawn and then trees!

Did you ever spray Banvel on corn and then RINSE the sprayer REAL GOOD and spray beans? If you did...then you know what happens almost EVERY TIME! Cupped beans!

RULE #1 for most people is don't share a tank! Can it be done? HECK YES

Is it good practice? NO...especailly for newer guys!

Newby...you are definilty going to be smart "playing it safe"!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Henry B,

I have been in the chemical business since 95 and also have an agronomy degree so I guess I would say that I am VERY COMFORTABLE with my knowledge and experience. But I still do not share tanks! Too much risk in my mind! I don't care what you know or how much you know...when you share tanks...you are asking for trouble IMO!

The only tanks I put chem in is my PG and BP sprayers. I have a BP for every product (which is only 3) 1 for herbs, 1 for insect and 1 for Gly.

I never cross them up so rinsing isn't an issue!

ATV,

Same here! Worked for the Co-op for about 6 years through HS and then College and full time for a coulple years.

Dealing with corn and beans is much different then spraying a lawn and then trees!

Did you ever spray Banvel on corn and then RINSE the sprayer REAL GOOD and spray beans? If you did...then you know what happens almost EVERY TIME! Cupped beans!

RULE #1 for most people is don't share a tank! Can it be done? HECK YES

Is it good practice? NO...especailly for newer guys!

Newby...you are definilty going to be smart "playing it safe"!
This isn't a pissing match. Use as many tanks as you like. I'm just giving my experience. I'm not saying you or anyone else should do as I. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I never questioned your knowledge so no reason to post your credentials. As a matter of fact you seem very knowledgeable.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
This isn't a pissing match. Use as many tanks as you like. I'm just giving my experience. I'm not saying you or anyone else should do as I. Everyone has their own way of doing things. I never questioned your knowledge so no reason to post your credentials. As a matter of fact you seem very knowledgeable.
I agree and I am not trying to make this a pee contest!

You are right, you can do it either way!

My point and why I stated my "credentials"....I am very comfortable with the products I use and have a great knowledge of understanding of them, but I still won't share tanks!

Just too much room for human error and unknowns can cost BIG $$$$$$!

Spray a lawn and rinse....then spray a mature Jap Maple or several and it could cost you a grand or 3 pretty quick!

Do this once and it was cheaper to buy designated tanks! Thats my only point!

I am not going to say I don't trust myself...but in the spring when I get busy I don't want to have to worry about it!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post

Once you know all this you will understand what you can share tanks for and what you can't.

There is much more to it then most think!
Oh come on Rodney I know you take the spray tank with the 2-4d in it and mix liquid fert to foliar spray your flower garden--lol
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When in doubt (and even if you think you know), READ THE PRODUCT LABELS!!!!!