Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2005, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

What is wrong with these shrubs?

I'm new at this - first year in the business. My knowledge of horticulture is weak. I have a customer who is having trouble with her (yupon) shrubs. They have "bald" spots - areas with no leaves. Can someone tell me what's going on? I promised her I would post a photo on this site and ask if anyone had an answer for her.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks as if you have some type of disease there bud.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

they're dead. atleast i would say they were dead and just replace them and make sure she waters them
Old 07-13-2005, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierLandscaping
they're dead. atleast i would say they were dead and just replace them and make sure she waters them

plants never got enough water they are dead. I can't tell you how many of these I have dug out this year. almost all my commerical accounts had at least 4-10 of these at each location. The root system is poor it almost to many viney roots. It could also be from to much water rot out the roots had both cases.

That plant seperates the roots a grows around or off the main root to make plant bigger. I have no idea how to correct this. I have ask many people myself and they say it common for this to happen over a period of years.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Improper trimming. Just cutting off the new growth and not actually pruning the stuff underneath. That could also cause something like that.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BusyB-
You can do one of 3 things:
1). Prune out the dead and fertilize heavily
2). Simply replace the shrub with the same or substitution species
3). Prune the entire plant down to approx. 1-2'. By doing this you must first remove all the old dead limbs, and then hand prune, selecting only the larger healthy branches to keep. You will end up with a bare stub of a plant with one trunk, and a multitude of "fingers and lead branches" coming off of it (resembles a bare tree during the winter). You would then fertilize the shrub with a good basic fertilizer with micronutrients (Lesco Ornamental 17-17-17) and ensure that the plant is getting adequate water. Most hollies can withstand this type of pruning (though it is by far better to do during the early spring, not summer). This is an option if they want to try and salvage the plant. It may look unsightly for a month, but if it is still healthy, it will come out of it looking uniform and full.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Boxwood Blight!!!

These are Boxwoods with a newer disease called "Boxwood Blight". Its a type of wilt disease with no known cure. Can kill Boxwoods partially of completely.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My response is valid. Regardless on how old the thread.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
My response is valid. Regardless on how old the thread.
Indeed. I have never understood the frequent objection here on lawnsite to commenting on old topics. Many of them contain timeless common problems of interest to hundreds of people. Probably the second most uttered admonishment (after 'Are you licensed?') here is 'Use the search tool.' What are we to do then?

It would be one thing if someone found an old thread like this and chimed in five years later with "me too" but I always appreciate new information and opinions on problems that still trouble any of us. As far as I know this site does not have a position or policy on this. Personally, I am in favor of building on what is already here. This board is a tremendous resource; a veritable library of problems & solutions as well as assertions & opinions.

In our own businesses we have only our own education and experience to use. Here we can benefit from each other's experience.

My $ .02
Old 12-05-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Indeed. I have never understood the frequent objection here on lawnsite to commenting on old topics. Many of them contain timeless common problems of interest to hundreds of people. Probably the second most uttered admonishment (after 'Are you licensed?') here is 'Use the search tool.' What are we to do then?

It would be one thing if someone found an old thread like this and chimed in five years later with "me too" but I always appreciate new information and opinions on problems that still trouble any of us. As far as I know this site does not have a position or policy on this. Personally, I am in favor of building on what is already here. This board is a tremendous resource; a veritable library of problems & solutions as well as assertions & opinions.

In our own businesses we have only our own education and experience to use. Here we can benefit from each others experience.

My $ .02
Thank You!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. After all isn't that the whole point behind having a "Search Box" at the top right corner of the home page? I have seen a lot of threads that actually duplicate the very same subject that has already been discussed before. So why not revive an existing thread that also provides a historical narrative on a timeless topic? As opposed to starting a new thread on the very same subject. Now if I were to advise someone "How to budget for the 2008 recession" that would be stupid.

Getting back to the subject of dying boxwoods. I came across this website that I think LCOs will find most informative.

www.boxwoodblight.org