Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Member

27hp briggs & stratton commercial turf series v-twin with cyclonic air filter vs kawa

Hi,I'm new here to this forum.hopefully someone can give me good advice from experiance!

I currently own a 5yr old Scag Freedom Z 48" with a BS 26hp.I cut 2 acres weekly and here in Louisiana it's about 8 to 9 months out of the yr.I have had "0" problems with the mower or the engine.

my neighbor has been bugging me to sell him my mower which would give me a good excuse to buy the new Z 52" with the larger tires and frame.with that said it would either come with a 27hp Briggs of a Kawasaki FS691 20hp.

this is homeower use only!I feel either engine would last me a very long time,and I'm a stickler for proper maintenance.the main problem I have is I cannot find any documentation on the Briggs engine torque/rpm specs anywhere.my dealer subtly pushes me towards the Kawi because of the torque ratings and claims it's just a better engine.

I kind of like maintaining extra hp especially when and engine is called upon to turn blades,pump fluid,transmissions,wheels,etc,.I leaning towards the Briggs as of now but would really like to know what the torque ratings are for the 27 hp and any other input you guys may have!

thanks for reading my rambling!!

Z
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man, i will be honest. I like the briggs in this situation. The cyclonic has a better air filter system. I have only had one issie out of the briggs, and have had a few with the fs, so far the briggs has been bullet proof. Kawasaki has better customer service and faster with warranty claim and emergency overnite service, but the briggs cyclonic is good stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
Man, i will be honest. I like the briggs in this situation. The cyclonic has a better air filter system. I have only had one issie out of the briggs, and have had a few with the fs, so far the briggs has been bullet proof. Kawasaki has better customer service and faster with warranty claim and emergency overnite service, but the briggs cyclonic is good stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device
I think I'm leaning that way as well.I just wish I wasn't a freak for specs.just wish I could find how much torque the BS has and at what RPM range!

I REALLY appreciate your input,thank you
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

27 hp Briggs

I brought a Gravely Pro Turn 60 this year and it has the 27 HP Commercial Turf. I put 140 hours on it in 3 months and have not had a single issue. I use Mobil 1 oil just to be on the safe side as well. I will be mowing a cemetery next year so that will be the real test of its durability. Personally, I feel the Kaw FS is just a homeowner motor. The Scag Tiger Cat offers this briggs motor in 30 HP so it cant be that bad.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess I will update my post too. I have sold a whole bunch of these motors now, the fs I haven't had many issues with yet at all (smalls like coils, regulators, fuel pumps, normal stuff), but on the Cyclonic Briggs ever since the weather changed and got cooler we are seeing some in for oil leaks. It is the sump gasket, or pan gasket, and everyone is leaking at the same place right under the starter. I am still a huge fan of the motor, besides that issue on mainly new ones sold in the past 4 months, only other issue I had was a couple of carbs that were acting up, after cleaning them didn't fix, and 1 starter, but when I replaced them everything was good the briggs is a nice option. I stock it as a replacement because when the motor goes out on your ride its between $500 to $1200 to rebuild or $2500 to $3000 to repower most Kawasaki or kohlers, so I have been dropping this 30hp Cyclonic in just about everything that's knocking for $1300 and it comes with a 3 year warranty.... In fact we are doing a 25hp Kawasaki fx on a Gravely 252 today that had 752 hours and locked down yesterday, this is his second, we did the same swap on one he had go out last year at 1200....same customer same model mower... He loved the briggs so far, he did have to mod his exhaust guard to fit with the briggs muffler, but other than that he is happy with it...
So far only one unhappy customer on the briggs, he had a gravely 260 and we ordered his motor, when it came in we installed on mower and noticed it blowing oil out of the back of it....it had a small hole punched in it. Instead of taking it back off, then ordering new motor, sending that one back, he was cool and in a hurry so he told us to seal up the hole and roll on. week later it came back, we took motor off cleaned up took to machine shop and had it fixed right. Then couple weeks later it leaked at the starter where the others have been, fixed that, but after that he was pretty much done with it... helped him sell mower for $2500, then we got him a new one on no pay till april 1st, and 0% interest for 48 months lesson learned shoulda bit the bullet and sent back in first place...

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Reteodog: I really like your input on this discussion. It's obvious you have a lot more knowledge than someone like me and many others. Do you have a small engines shop you own and do this work? I also had a question on your customer who had a fx kawasaki and it blew up at 750 hours? I was under the impression that that was a tremendous motor capable of lasting 2000 hours. Also what kind of maintenance schedule did these people follow? I change my oil every 100 hours and the air filter the same. Maybe these people just run them and add oil as needed. It seems to me that many of my "farm buddies" get tremendous hours out of their gas zero turns. One friend has an old snapper pro with a briggs motor with over 2000 hours with not a thing done to it. He changes oil at the 100 hour mark as well. Maybe they are just hit and miss on longevity. That snapper pro is an 02-03 model I believe.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the fuel consumption numbers on the 27 hp Briggs?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm getting 1 gph average over 100 and something hours with a 60 inch cut. A bit of advice on fuels. I ran 91 octane for the first 50 or so hours and then 87 do the last near 100. I noticed no difference in power or consumption. I did put 91 octane and Stabil in it now that it'll sit for the winter. I read that gas looses octane over time so the 91 can "age" and hopefully not go below 87 over 3-4 months. I could be wasting my money. But who knows.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvs99560 View Post
I'm getting 1 gph average over 100 and something hours with a 60 inch cut. A bit of advice on fuels. I ran 91 octane for the first 50 or so hours and then 87 do the last near 100. I noticed no difference in power or consumption. I did put 91 octane and Stabil in it now that it'll sit for the winter. I read that gas looses octane over time so the 91 can "age" and hopefully not go below 87 over 3-4 months. I could be wasting my money. But who knows.
Thanks for the info.

Better to be safe than sorry on the fuel octane.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm new to the site but had to chime in for this one as I bought a new Snapper Pro s200 two years ago with the 28HP Briggs Commercial Turf and I love it!!! The mowers are built by Ferris and the Kaw was like $1000+ extra. I could not justify the extra $$$. The Briggs has suited me just fine. I mow my 3 acre lot with lots of trees and some hills...it does great!