Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-20-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best advice I have heard on lawnsite this year and I wish I could give the source credit but I don''t remember where I heard it. "If the high temp of the day + the low temp of the day doesn't= 100, then the grass ain't growin"....
Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Member

maybe in your area of the country, around here it seems to grow a little longer, maybe more like 80 combined, but point taken. right now I'm getting mostly one time jobs, my repeat customers are done for the year. plus, like I said, leaf cleanup is still going on because they just got done falling. in some places, there are still leaves on the trees.

meets 1, I hate the early dark with a passion, but thankfully now LED work lights and headlamps are coming along nicely as far as output and efficiency goes.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileylawnservice View Post
Coldest place in the world is stitting on a ztr holding on to the controls.
Now, there is real truth here!!!

Why is this so? It seems like working in a freezer. I suppose the problem is lack of movement, ... sitting in one place, strapped in with the belt, and only making slow hand/arm motions. The hands are exposed, fingers out in the open.

I work in double gloves, but fingers take a beating. Yesterday, the high temp was about 34. I had two side-by-side properties, one about 1.8A, the other 1.5A. I work with a 48" ztr. I stopped twice just to move my body. Even so, I always feel I need somebody standing nearby to pry me out of the seat. I'm sure my age has something to do with it, but the body gets stiff as a board, sitting in the same place for a long time.

I have discovered that crossing my feet, keeping the legs and ankles closer, is a help. I normally have my feet spread wide for support.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like to do one final cleanup/mow before the holidays. A chance to mulch any leaves that have drifted onto the lawns and give a nice look for when friends and families come to visit my customers. They all appreciate that and I get a few calls every year just to make sure I'm going to keep doing what I do.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always wait until mid morning. Then go out.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm a big fan of two temperature cut off points for work. If it's 104 or warmer, I'm calling it a day. If it's 31 degrees or under or there is frost, I'm calling it a day. Anything else I'll deal with. I don't change the oil I run based on temperature though. I think as long as the engine turns over normally then you will be fine. Perhaps if you have a shop area out of the cold, you could start it and warm up the engine a bit before going out to work?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Now, there is real truth here!!!

Why is this so? It seems like working in a freezer. I suppose the problem is lack of movement, ... sitting in one place, strapped in with the belt, and only making slow hand/arm motions. The hands are exposed, fingers out in the open.

I work in double gloves, but fingers take a beating. Yesterday, the high temp was about 34. I had two side-by-side properties, one about 1.8A, the other 1.5A. I work with a 48" ztr. I stopped twice just to move my body. Even so, I always feel I need somebody standing nearby to pry me out of the seat. I'm sure my age has something to do with it, but the body gets stiff as a board, sitting in the same place for a long time.

I have discovered that crossing my feet, keeping the legs and ankles closer, is a help. I normally have my feet spread wide for support.
True, true.... nothing like being in the mid 30's doing 10mph on a ZTR and feeling like it's 0.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
Best advice I have heard on lawnsite this year and I wish I could give the source credit but I don''t remember where I heard it. "If the high temp of the day + the low temp of the day doesn't= 100, then the grass ain't growin"....
That was for planting grass. Not for mowing grass.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just wait until it warms up enough to get rid of the frost. Some lawns still have a few leaves that have come down after fall cleanups. So I just mulch them with the z-turn.

Ford F150 XL Truck 1998
6 x 10 Trailrite Trailer w/ramp
Husqvarna MZT 52 mower
Big Dog C142 mower
RedMax BCZ2401S Trimmer
Stihl FS-55-T Trimmer
Husqvarna 570BTS Backpack blower
Husqvarna 445 Chain Saw
Redmax HB280 hand held blower
Echo HC-150 gas hedge trimmer
Jungle Jack
Wright Grass Gobbler
Arien's dual stage 625E snowthrower

Old 11-21-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Y'all keep messing with lawns until every last leaf has fallen? Up here when the lawns stop growing I am done with them. If they want leaf cleanup they do call me, but it's not part of the deal, and it's an extra charge.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13