Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm going to second this.

I never understood the whole company culture where everyone suddenly ditched the little wonder/giant vac/billy goat blower, for super huge back packs.

some of the hand helds (I call the wrist breakers) put out nearly the power earlier back packs did.

Light durable and reliable, that's what a back pack should be.

Does fall clean ups all on it's own?
Silly.

nest we will have concrete saws instead of stick edgers because they have "more power"

always this constant seeking of more power, and it always seems to come at a price (higher costs and more crap to go wrong)

Used to be a 23 hp lazer Z was plenty of power, apparently, since 2003, grass has gotten heavier and harder to cut, because 23 hp isnt good enough anymore.

Likewise with the back packs... harder to start, more compression, more complication, and they seem to move dirt instead of grass and leaves (and they certainly havent gotten any quieter in my book)
Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time is money and more power is faster. Times change.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
more electrical issues with gran prix. The engine was fine. The 6.5 is actually a good motor. Am general bought the patents and made the block thicker and added more cooling capacity. The old 6.5 marine engines were pushing 600hp by peninsulardiesel and that would be close to 1000 ft of torque if not over. It only weights 200 more lbs than a 5.7. There is a reason why the humvee's still roll out of the factory with them
That motor and drivetrain is a whole different animal compared to a "civilian" machine.

More electrical issues with all of them back then. Buick was one of the worst. GM used that "W" body in most if not all of their lines back then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-19-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
That motor and drivetrain is a whole different animal compared to a "civilian" machine.

More electrical issues with all of them back then. Buick was one of the worst. GM used that "W" body in most if not all of their lines back then.
Posted via Mobile Device
seeeeeeeeeeee not better
Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
seeeeeeeeeeee not better
They're certainly better now than they were back then. If you're still running one you might want to check out what they've built in the last 20+ years. They started the "W" body back in the 80's and they were crap for a long time.

As far as a Humvee you're talking Industrial grade versus homeowner from military to civilian H1.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
They're certainly better now than they were back then. If you're still running one you might want to check out what they've built in the last 20+ years. They started the "W" body back in the 80's and they were crap for a long time.

As far as a Humvee you're talking Industrial grade versus homeowner from military to civilian H1.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was thinking grand prix from late 90's to 2000something Why wouldn't I want military grade Actually since hummer brand got sold am general is selling the humvee as kits now to go around government garbage. Thread going back on track.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. You might wanna check out the last 10+ years, then.

Military grade is awesome but not the same motor or driveline as a civilian unit. Compare apples to apples and then you're talking realistic.

Now I'd definitely be interested to see the specs on the kits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

www.Genuinehumveekit.com

Pretty neat but "civilian grade" and no drivetrain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
www.Genuinehumveekit.com

Pretty neat but "civilian grade" and no drivetrain.
Posted via Mobile Device
right, but whatever you want. The 6.5 can bolt up to a 4l80e, 6l80e, 700r4, turbo 400, turbo 350. There isn't much different between that and military as far as I know. The Allison trans was originally used for the military. From reading this they use a 4l80e still http://www.amgeneral.com/vehicles/hmmwv/features.php which is a civilian trans. I have that trans in both of my trucks and they suck behind diesels with stock components. In the last 10 years they have not weeded out electrical issues. Remember the toyota gas pedal issue? http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...e-system/?_r=0 Drive by wire The old H1's had the 6.5 diesel and 4l80e just like the military. How did we get to this anyways?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Member

We have 2 of both, 7500, and 8500. The next few I buy will be 8500's. I feel as though they scour (sp) just as good and move piles better. Such a small difference in price, why not.

Personally for the weight to power I prefer. Br600. Dealer switched to redmax and so have we.