Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

got it running

For about 10 minutes..

I cleaned out all of the Penetrating Oil and Parts Blaster that I'd sprayed into the cylinder and then put maybe 2 cap fulls of 2-cycle oil into the cylinder; it sat for maybe 3 hrs. I just went out and figured I'd give it a pull (not expecting any change) and it turned over quite easy.

I mixed up some new fuel and it fired right up in a few pulls. I had it running at full throttle for over 10 mins (it was rolling out smoke, of course)

After 10 mins of running strong the engine just died and I have had no luck getting it started up again.

.. any ideas ?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbf0786 View Post
For about 10 minutes..

I cleaned out all of the Penetrating Oil and Parts Blaster that I'd sprayed into the cylinder and then put maybe 2 cap fulls of 2-cycle oil into the cylinder; it sat for maybe 3 hrs. I just went out and figured I'd give it a pull (not expecting any change) and it turned over quite easy.

I mixed up some new fuel and it fired right up in a few pulls. I had it running at full throttle for over 10 mins (it was rolling out smoke, of course)

After 10 mins of running strong the engine just died and I have had no luck getting it started up again.

.. any ideas ?
All the oil was creating the extra compression. You basically did the wrong thing. I know some one posted to just run it and hope for the best but the cylinder was damaged and is now probably damaged more. If it seazed up it was seazed for a reason. more than likely the piston was stuck to the cylinder due to melted aluminum. by running it, with the extra oil (there was still oil in the crank pan) providing some added compression the now bad piston wore the cylinder down even more. OR maybe a piece of ring was gouging the cylinder some and completed the job

its all speculation but probably close to what happened.

if your super lucky it may still besaved with a new piston
Old 11-19-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You lucky it lasted 10 minutes
Old 11-19-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrus2 View Post
You lucky it lasted 10 minutes
I'm betting that was an estimate and may be a little off
Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks

Oh well.

It is what it is; at least I got 10 minutes of fun from it.

I know you're correct in saying it probably done more damage by running it, the oil I'd added to the cylinder just gave it the compression it needed to start up.
I'm definitely not going to put a new piston and ring set in it.. the parts for this model (cylinder/piston/rings) are over $200 alone. ridiculous
Old 11-19-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbf0786 View Post
Oh well.

It is what it is; at least I got 10 minutes of fun from it.

I know you're correct in saying it probably done more damage by running it, the oil I'd added to the cylinder just gave it the compression it needed to start up.
I'm definitely not going to put a new piston and ring set in it.. the parts for this model (cylinder/piston/rings) are over $200 alone. ridiculous
I sent you a pm.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you even read my posts Flex hone fingernail scratch test and piston and rings with pin under $60? You even said you were gonna open it up and inspect/repair it. Hope this is a lesson for people that try to run a machine with scored cylinders and to not even think about doing it.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ech...045_35104.html

D-5 P021014973
Piston Kit
Piston Kit
Note: Includes figures 6-10
In stock
1 available
$53.55
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
Save your self some time. If you can get it moving freely, turn it up side down and drain out the PB or what ever you used. let it drain for 1/2 an hour or so... Now take some straight mix oil, put a few drops in the cylinder and rotate the piston a few time to get the oil down pass the rings.

Now put a plug in it, try to start it up. If it runs and you have full run of the throttle, ( it may smoke alot at first ) you have a working blower.

If it doesn't start, then you know you will have to rebuild it.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerepairdotcom View Post
Did you even read my posts Flex hone fingernail scratch test and piston and rings with pin under $60? You even said you were gonna open it up and inspect/repair it. Hope this is a lesson for people that try to run a machine with scored cylinders and to not even think about doing it.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ech...045_35104.html

D-5 P021014973
Piston Kit
Piston Kit
Note: Includes figures 6-10
In stock
1 available
$53.55
He may have read your post but the other post I quoted from the same thread probably sounded so easy he had to try it. the funny thing is that just un seizing it and running it will work for a short time. Maybe for days but those worn out parts will always finish the job of ruining the cylinder
Old 11-20-2013, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

new piston kit

I ordered a new piston kit for $46+tax from the Echo dealer here in Charlotte. I couldn't even find it that cheap anywhere online so I figured i'd go ahead and pull the trigger since the cylinder isn't scored.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

U sure its not scored? What caused the failure? also did you run a flex hone?
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.