Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-17-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

To touch on what jrs.landscaping said, you need to know the laws, that under the table guy gets hurt and doesn't have workmanship comp you can very easily get ******. When you brake laws such as tax evasion you open your self up, you will have no protection if an injured employee brings suit against you. Insurance won't cover it, being an llc or corp won't protect you from losing your house even your wife's savings. Here's what is often a problem other people have, fire that under the table employee because he sucks at his job or even steals from you. If he tries to file unemployment then the state will find out you are hiring illegally. Many states will come in and hit you with still penalties, which are usually high enough to drain a small/medium landscapers saving causing them to sell off their equipment, truck, trailer to pay it.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll likely catch some heat for saying this, but if you are a solo operator then I wouldn't be 100% "legit". Some guys like to throw out the "pay your fair share" card like they're running for office. I don't get any warm fuzzy feelings from paying taxes and a good chunk of those taxes that I pay are going to fund programs that I am morally opposed to and people I have no use for. Once you take the leap from being a solo operator to being an employer, then you'd better be 100% legit because your employees have potential to be much more of a liability to you than you are to yourself.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
I'll likely catch some heat for saying this, but if you are a solo operator then I wouldn't be 100% "legit". Some guys like to throw out the "pay your fair share" card like they're running for office. I don't get any warm fuzzy feelings from paying taxes and a good chunk of those taxes that I pay are going to fund programs that I am morally opposed to and people I have no use for. Once you take the leap from being a solo operator to being an employer, then you'd better be 100% legit because your employees have potential to be much more of a liability to you than you are to yourself.
Well, you are either a legitimate business that honorably operates within the strict guidelines of the law or you're not…there is no grey area…some of us choose to be law abiding and some of us choose a less than honorable path…to each his/her own.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Well, you are either a legitimate business that honorably operates within the strict guidelines of the law or you're not…there is no grey area…some of us choose to be law abiding and some of us choose a less than honorable path…to each his/her own.
There's nothing honorable about paying half of your income to the federal, state and local governments, I think Obama has gotten in your head. When the government starts taxing everyone, not just singling out and punishing the hard working and fortunate, I'll change my opinion. If you want to throw money at the government so they can turn around and give it to people too lazy to work, so "Michelle and the kids" can take another $100,000,000 vacation, so we can bail out businesses too big to fail, subsidize failure and punish success. Not too many generations ago, we killed a lot of red coats with the same ideology.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan27 View Post
There's nothing honorable about paying half of your income to the federal, state and local governments, I think Obama has gotten in your head. When the government starts taxing everyone, not just singling out and punishing the hard working and fortunate, I'll change my opinion. If you want to throw money at the government so they can turn around and give it to people too lazy to work, so "Michelle and the kids" can take another $100,000,000 vacation, so we can bail out businesses too big to fail, subsidize failure and punish success. Not too many generations ago, we killed a lot of red coats with the same ideology.
No…There is nothing honorable about lying about your income so that you only have to pay taxes on what you are not illegally hiding…that is lying no matter how you slice it…That is being dishonest or in other words, less than honorable.

"Honor" is about having honesty and integrity. It is morally wrong to lie…that is the point. It is equally immoral to tax the tar out of all the hard working individuals, like you and I, so that the Obama and his ilk can pay the lazy people not to work and shower those lazy people with free stuff they didn't earn.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-20-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post

"Honor" is about having honesty and integrity. It is morally wrong to lie…that is the point. It is equally immoral to tax the tar out of all the hard working individuals, like you and I, so that the Obama and his ilk can pay the lazy people not to work and shower those lazy people with free stuff they didn't earn.
It's a conundrum. The tax code subsidizes every special-interest group there is, married people, people with children, ethnic background,etc. So if you are a single white male, you may as well do some cash business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes 500 dollars every week is expecting way too much. you first year, I woud just worry about keeping yourself busy with work before you buy any second trucks or hire anyone legally or illegally.....I would say you should expect to not make money for the first 2 years of business. its not that you won't actually work and do any sales, but a new business is very needy. personally I'm about to finish up my 3rd season doing this full time, and when I say full time, I mean as my only source of income, and all my expenses are entered into billing system and i should be close to putting another 40,000 back into my company yet again, and my profits will be slim they could be pretty decent if I wanted to work much harder and be much less efficient but I prefer to make my life easier and get jobs done quicker...It takes time to grow and be able to take money from your business when you want to. especially being as young as I am.