Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Swooosh! Unless it was nailed down today, it was moving.

We didn't get much action last night when the primary storm went through. We had no high winds, and just moderate rain a couple of times in short bursts.

But today was windy, windy, and more windy. I intended to do leaf work a few places. The first place I stopped I found lots of leaves. The usual task is to use my wheeled blower to move them to woods at one end of the lawn -- about 150 feet, start point to the woods. The great news was the wind was all in my favor. I moved lots of leaves pretty quickly, just where they needed to go.

But, then I forfeited the rest of the leaf stops. I mowed a several other properties, ones that are only mow and no leaf work. I intended to mow these later in the week for final visit, but went ahead. I knew any leaf work elsewhere would be a lost cause.

I'm working down the list for final visits, about 25% down the list. Bradford Pears are really holding up the works on several properties. It appears all Silver Maples are now down, and most of the oak leaves. Sweetgum is the other holding up a couple of properties.

Cold tomorrow, but less breezy. Hopefully I can make leaf work a success.

How about it with others here -- how far from finishing leaves and mowing?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just started final cuts today, far far far from done. Think I'll be going til mid December making it about 3 to 4 weeks left with 3 guys. No snow please!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Almost done with final cuts here. Still have a bunch of leaf work and a few landscape jobs left
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pruning Japanese Maple

I have a customer with four Japanese Maple, all doing well, very full growth, all about 36-45" tall, with spread of 50-60". The owner has asked me to prune them after the season is over. When I was there the other day, all were still fully leafed, but I'm sure the leaves will be dropping soon.

I need some advice on pruning them. The overall shape is fine, but they could be raised a few inches. The major problem is they have not been pruned in along time, and they are very dense. There is lots of intertwined growth on the inside.

My plan was to get underneath, working from the bottom only. I plan to try to cut through the intertwined branches at a minimum. But, I think lots of other growth can be cut out as well. My intent is to keep the shape exactly as is, but to thin out the growth, making it more lacy.

Anybody with ideas or help?

See pics with all four of them.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have been browsing this site and thread for months and next year I plan to start a company from scratch. I have 1 more year of easy classes at ccac and I get my 2yr biz management degree I also work plenty of time at giant eagle. Even tho I am only 19 I have always wanted to be my own boss. I have a feeling I know a good bit about what I am getting into and one day I want this to be my career and have crews and the whole 9 yards....what a bad joke haha. Also I live in the crafton/Ingram rt 60 area (Robinson) I have a great location in my opinion! Anyways my real question is I will be going solo for awhile what legal matters do I need to address? General liability around 1mil? Is there a lisence(s) I need to cut grass and work flower beds and cut small trees? Also what about sales tax, does that need charged? I want to be 100% legit, any help, pms, will be greatly appreciated. I want to do this!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I have a customer with four Japanese Maple, all doing well, very full growth, all about 36-45" tall, with spread of 50-60". The owner has asked me to prune them after the season is over. When I was there the other day, all were still fully leafed, but I'm sure the leaves will be dropping soon.

I need some advice on pruning them. The overall shape is fine, but they could be raised a few inches. The major problem is they have not been pruned in along time, and they are very dense. There is lots of intertwined growth on the inside.

My plan was to get underneath, working from the bottom only. I plan to try to cut through the intertwined branches at a minimum. But, I think lots of other growth can be cut out as well. My intent is to keep the shape exactly as is, but to thin out the growth, making it more lacy.

Anybody with ideas or help?

See pics with all four of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyuser View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
try not to prune more than 1/3 of the maple. also you will notice branches that grew together be carefull about cutting these as it will impact the overall shape of maple. Some experts say not to prune jap maples but we know home owners are not having it. ps i would charge aprox $125 per
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithg10 View Post
Hey guys, I have been browsing this site and thread for months and next year I plan to start a company from scratch. I have 1 more year of easy classes at ccac and I get my 2yr biz management degree I also work plenty of time at giant eagle. Even tho I am only 19 I have always wanted to be my own boss. I have a feeling I know a good bit about what I am getting into and one day I want this to be my career and have crews and the whole 9 yards....what a bad joke haha. Also I live in the crafton/Ingram rt 60 area (Robinson) I have a great location in my opinion! Anyways my real question is I will be going solo for awhile what legal matters do I need to address? General liability around 1mil? Is there a lisence(s) I need to cut grass and work flower beds and cut small trees? Also what about sales tax, does that need charged? I want to be 100% legit, any help, pms, will be greatly appreciated. I want to do this!
Posted via Mobile Device
Be prepared to work long hours, don't count on making much profit in the first 2-3 years and there is a license for fertilization applications. Sales tax needs to be charged on anything turf related, the laws are kinda screwy on this with some gray areas, I suggest doing some Google research. General liability of 1 mil per and 2 mil aggregate is sufficient for just about everything, if you have more questions I'd be happy to help answer some.

It's a rewarding business but know that there's a lot of sacrifice, high pressure, high stress situations. Good luck on your venture!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithg10 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't quit your other job until you build your company. Maybe for the first year or half year invest what you make back into the company to grow and upgrade equipment. Gen liability for 1 mill/2mill aggregate is sufficient. I know a few of us use erie. Register a fictious name with the state (online) and get a pa contractors number (also online). Also don't be afraid to ask questions. I'm sure a lot of us have encounter the same issues/scenarios
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Happy Thanksgiving

Tags
n'at!