Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-21-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Owning your business (help)

I have this crazy idea of having a self sufficient business that runs itself. Basically I can come and go as i please and it continues to thrive. I don't know many business in this industry that have achieved this. So I know this will be hard work and take along time and I was wondering if there is a good book or books that talk about how to do this in the service industry. Also share any thoughts of the topic you may have. If anyone has achieved this let me know, I might pm you some questions.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have this crazy idea of marrying a woman that can take care of herself, that allows me to come and go as I like...lol.

On a serious note, I worked for a guy that "let his business run itself" He's no longer in business. FWIW.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Still working on it myself.

You need to create systems. Then you use these systems to train your replacements (employees). Keep replacing yourself in various aspects of your company's operations and eventually you will have a company that is pretty much self sufficient.

I've convinced myself that this is the process to follow:

First step is to remove yourself from all physical labor duties (your focus is on sales, job site management, accounting, business operations, executive management).

Step two is to remove yourself from daily business operations. A good operations manager should be able to handle almost every aspect of running the office/scheduling/ordering/bookkeeping/accounts payable/accounts receivable/human resources/marketing/etc. (your focus is on sales, job site management, executive management).

Step 3 is to remove yourself from job site management (your focus is on sales, executive management, and you start to reinsert yourself into some of the accounting functions because as your company grows your operations manager will start to become overwhelmed with the workload).

Step 4 is to remove yourself from sales (your focus is on executive management and you fully reinsert yourself into the accounting functions so that the operations manager can focus his/her attention on everything else).

Step 5 is to remove yourself from accounting (your focus is now solely on executive management).

Step 6 is to remove yourself from executive management by hiring a CEO (your focus is to communicate to the CEO your desired path for the company's direction and then sit back and watch it happen while you count the money).

Note: I also think it might be possible to switch steps 4 and 5.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-21-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose's Mowing View Post
I have this crazy idea of marrying a woman that can take care of herself, that allows me to come and go as I like...lol.

On a serious note, I worked for a guy that "let his business run itself" He's no longer in business. FWIW.
Drats, that's why I am single.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
Still working on it myself.

You need to create systems. Then you use these systems to train your replacements (employees). Keep replacing yourself in various aspects of your company's operations and eventually you will have a company that is pretty much self sufficient.

I've convinced myself that this is the process to follow:

First step is to remove yourself from all physical labor duties (your focus is on sales, job site management, accounting, business operations, executive management).

Step two is to remove yourself from daily business operations. A good operations manager should be able to handle almost every aspect of running the office/scheduling/ordering/bookkeeping/accounts payable/accounts receivable/human resources/marketing/etc. (your focus is on sales, job site management, executive management).

Step 3 is to remove yourself from job site management (your focus is on sales, executive management, and you start to reinsert yourself into some of the accounting functions because as your company grows your operations manager will start to become overwhelmed with the workload).

Step 4 is to remove yourself from sales (your focus is on executive management and you fully reinsert yourself into the accounting functions so that the operations manager can focus his/her attention on everything else).

Step 5 is to remove yourself from accounting (your focus is now solely on executive management).

Step 6 is to remove yourself from executive management by hiring a CEO (your focus is to communicate to the CEO your desired path for the company's direction and then sit back and watch it happen while you count the money).

Note: I also think it might be possible to switch steps 4 and 5.
I'd be happy to get to 5. I've had a similar thought process on how to do it. Now how do you make an employment system that promotes productivity and responsibility without you cracking the whip?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love your post AW! That is the path I plan to take with my business. All I think about every day is systems and getting myself to step 6 as you describe where I can count the money from my pool in my mansion on the intercoastal in SE Florida.

JC, you implement systems for your people to follow and train them to know and understand how and why they are to be productive and efficient.
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I love your post AW! That is the path I plan to take with my business. All I think about every day is systems and getting myself to step 6 as you describe where I can count the money from my pool in my mansion on the intercoastal in SE Florida.

JC, you implement systems for your people to follow and train them to know and understand how and why they are to be productive and efficient.
You can teach them all you want, at the end of the day they just want money and really don't care. That's why people job shop. They are always trying to find another job that better. So how do you keep them planted, happy, and wanting to come into work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How do you keep them happy, planted, and wanting to come to work? By offering things that other organizations can't. Unfortunately, small businesses have trouble doing this because of a lack of capital. In my opinion, one needs to think outside of the box in order to retain employees in the current financial and social climate...
Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A small business can offer "Soft benefits" IE:Taking the guys to lunch on fridays, small bonuses for a good job no call backs a day off on their b-day a small Christmas bonus making the guys feel appreciated day in day out. I let my guys use the trucks if they need it for something, just small stuff.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 11-21-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
Now how do you make an employment system that promotes productivity and responsibility without you cracking the whip?[/size]
There's a great book called "Drive" by Daniel Pink which talks about what motivates people/employees. It's an easy read, with heaps of examples and based on real research.

Well worth taking the time to check it out. It certainly changed my perspective on how to motivate employees.