Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

RE: Hort oils

To a degree, I agree with you about the level of "usefulness" of HORT OILS. In general, they're intended to control scale, certain gall insects (i.e. adelgids), and some mites. I have found that I can get reasonable control of some types of scale. (Although it may take 2 apps in the spring to achieve this control.) Spruce adelgids?? The oil sprays fail to make critical contact, and the galls form anyway! Good coverage is essential; yet at the same time you increase the chance of "oil burning" spruces. As for mite control with oil. I don't see it.

In the end I think that hort oils are generally used by the big revenue companys as their Round 1; to get out the door first thing in the early spring when temps get into the 30's!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
To a degree, I agree with you about the level of "usefulness" of HORT OILS. In general, they're intended to control scale, certain gall insects (i.e. adelgids), and some mites. I have found that I can get reasonable control of some types of scale. (Although it may take 2 apps in the spring to achieve this control.) Spruce adelgids?? The oil sprays fail to make critical contact, and the galls form anyway! Good coverage is essential; yet at the same time you increase the chance of "oil burning" spruces. As for mite control with oil. I don't see it.

In the end I think that hort oils are generally used by the big revenue companys as their Round 1; to get out the door first thing in the early spring when temps get into the 30's!!!
Good post. I agree. I can control scale with some Sevin and a 1% light mix of oil in crawler stage. Mites don't over winter on plant materials is my understanding and part of my decision stems from logistics as well. I don't have indoor storage for my spray rig and spring oils come early for me. I'd be froze up.

I shouldn't say oils have no use....they do but if you're also applying foliar apps at bud break and beyond all season I see no need for oils. Control em when they are active.

To a large extent though Oils that are sold by the main companies are snake oil in my opinion. It's a gravy app.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ah yes...Sevin. The insecticide that has stood the test of time. When I was just a rook, I inadvertently dmgd some flowers and vines w/ over-spray (non -target) w/ Sevin. Also as I remember, it was a pretty touchy product to use in hot summer weather. Getting back to the original ? in this thread. If someone wanted to mix insecticide w/ their crab fungicides, they could control tent cats as well. But scab control is 1st and foremost when it comes to crabs.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees Too View Post
Ah yes...Sevin. The insecticide that has stood the test of time. When I was just a rook, I inadvertently dmgd some flowers and vines w/ over-spray (non -target) w/ Sevin. Also as I remember, it was a pretty touchy product to use in hot summer weather. Getting back to the original ? in this thread. If someone wanted to mix insecticide w/ their crab fungicides, they could control tent cats as well. But scab control is 1st and foremost when it comes to crabs.
I usually have insecticide mixed with my fungis. I prefer a more broad spectum mix than a more target specific app I suppose.

For example my second round of fruit tree sprays corresponds with my first of two Spruce and Pine I and D's so I don't want to miss anything and include insect control also. It's not terribly IPM'ish but it gets the control I need.

I love tree spraying. A lot more than lawn spraying.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scab ctrl fungi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by philk17088 View Post
If scab is a problem you need to apply a fungicide at leaf break and at 3/4 leaf expansion. Spray for tent cats and jap beetles maybe. A four service program would be sufficient for decent control.
Be careful of your insecticides and check labels. Some varieties are sensitive to certain chemicals. ie: orthene.
My fungicides of choice for annual-seasonal Scab PREVENTION are "Eagle" or "Tourney". Have also use "Dorado" as a follow-up app and gotten reasonable control.