Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag Cheetah vs Bob Cat Predator Pro

How does the Bob Cat's deck compare to the Scag's? Scag decks seem to discharge really well in my general area (think thick heavy grass and a heavy dew will still have the grass wet at 10-11 am because of the normal humidity in the summer).

Was pretty set on a Scag cheetah (61) with either the 850 or 921 Kawi motor on it, stopped at a small rural dealer about 25 minutes from me today because I thought he sold scag, turns out he doesn't any longer (stopped last year) but he does sell Bob Cat. Looked at the one ztr he had on the floor and it looks fairly well built considering it was one of their "entry level" commercial mowers. Got home and tried to compare apples to apples and the closest thing bob cat has to the cheetah (the model scag I was set on) seems to be the predator pro line, has the same hydraulic motors and such.

Called him (the local bob cat guy) back and had him price ordering me a 61 in model with the 921 Kawi motor (they don't seem to offer the 850 on that model) he called me back an hour or so later with a price about $1800 less than the price i was quoted for a scag with the same motor. However at this point, I still feel like scag is the "known" quality in the comparison.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-20-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I did a lot of research the first six months of '13. Ended up with a Scag Cheetah (61" Kaw 921). Absolutely love the suspension.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Scag for sure!!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
I did a lot of research the first six months of '13. Ended up with a Scag Cheetah (61" Kaw 921). Absolutely love the suspension.

Care to elaborate on why you went with it over the Bob Cat?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb01 View Post
Care to elaborate on why you went with it over the Bob Cat?
To begin with, my property is extremely rough. I needed a machine with great operator suspension.

But foremost the Bob Cat ZTR dealer was a Farm/Ranch Sales place with no repair capability. As I understand, all repairs were sent to another place down the street. I did not like or trust that other place down the street.

I demo'd the Scag cheetah and the Gravely 460. I chose the Cheetah. You will find, in your research here, the Scag deck handles grass second to none. Good luck in your research.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonBoud View Post
To begin with, my property is extremely rough. I needed a machine with great operator suspension.

But foremost the Bob Cat ZTR dealer was a Farm/Ranch Sales place with no repair capability. As I understand, all repairs were sent to another place down the street. I did not like or trust that other place down the street.

I demo'd the Scag cheetah and the Gravely 460. I chose the Cheetah. You will find, in your research here, the Scag deck handles grass second to none. Good luck in your research.

that was my general question, would it perform as well under "imperfect" cutting conditions as the SCAG would.

Looks like there is a sig difference in the spindle quality/design also, the Bobcat is maintnence free, where as the Scag's is greasable, the Bobcat uses a 1 in shaft, the Scag uses a 1 1/8...the bobcat uses normal ball bearings, the Scag uses taper bearings
Old 11-21-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like you're slowly making up your mind and leaning toward the Cheetah....

Good luck in your decision.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Believe me, I am a HUGE Scag fan.... Always have been and always will be.. I think the Velocity Deck is probably the best out there(Ultra Cut coming in a close 2'nd place) for straight up getting grass out from under the deck.. However, I have been very very very interested in Bob Cat recently... I have not demoed one but I have seen their QOC and the work that they produce and I am impressed. Bob Cat's are definitely built strong, they stripe beautifully, and they are at a decent price point. I think the problem is that Scag is just so proven and has so many followers that it is difficult to find folks who are Bob Cat fanatics. With all that being said, I am a Walker man myself,, I bleed yellow and Walker is what I run for ride-ons. I run Scag for walk behinds. I am just an equipment junkie and that is why I have educated opinions on these brands... I say demo both and see for yourself which is the better fit for you...
Old 11-21-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb01 View Post
How does the Bob Cat's deck compare to the Scag's? Scag decks seem to discharge really well in my general area (think thick heavy grass and a heavy dew will still have the grass wet at 10-11 am because of the normal humidity in the summer).

Was pretty set on a Scag cheetah (61) with either the 850 or 921 Kawi motor on it, stopped at a small rural dealer about 25 minutes from me today because I thought he sold scag, turns out he doesn't any longer (stopped last year) but he does sell Bob Cat. Looked at the one ztr he had on the floor and it looks fairly well built considering it was one of their "entry level" commercial mowers. Got home and tried to compare apples to apples and the closest thing bob cat has to the cheetah (the model scag I was set on) seems to be the predator pro line, has the same hydraulic motors and such.

Called him (the local bob cat guy) back and had him price ordering me a 61 in model with the 921 Kawi motor (they don't seem to offer the 850 on that model) he called me back an hour or so later with a price about $1800 less than the price i was quoted for a scag with the same motor. However at this point, I still feel like scag is the "known" quality in the comparison.

What do you guys think?

I doubt you would flip a coin for difference in cut between the Bobcat PP and Scag Cheetah. The Cheetah will definitely provide the best ride, the Cheetah will hold its resale value somewhat better, but not equal to the Turf Tiger. If you are looking for a very good mower, one that gives a good cut, not as good a ride, and is bought for a great deal less money, then the Bobcat is your machine. With that being said, if you are looking for a much better ride, equal cut, better resale value, but will cost you considerably more money to purchase, then the Scag Cheetah is your machine.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsden&Son View Post
Believe me, I am a HUGE Scag fan.... Always have been and always will be.. I think the Velocity Deck is probably the best out there(Ultra Cut coming in a close 2'nd place) for straight up getting grass out from under the deck.. However, I have been very very very interested in Bob Cat recently... I have not demoed one but I have seen their QOC and the work that they produce and I am impressed. Bob Cat's are definitely built strong, they stripe beautifully, and they are at a decent price point. I think the problem is that Scag is just so proven and has so many followers that it is difficult to find folks who are Bob Cat fanatics. With all that being said, I am a Walker man myself,, I bleed yellow and Walker is what I run for ride-ons. I run Scag for walk behinds. I am just an equipment junkie and that is why I have educated opinions on these brands... I say demo both and see for yourself which is the better fit for you...
don't believe I will have the option to demo either model, as there isnt a dealership within a few hours of me large enough to justify having demo models
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I doubt you would flip a coin for difference in cut between the Bobcat PP and Scag Cheetah. The Cheetah will definitely provide the best ride, the Cheetah will hold its resale value somewhat better, but not equal to the Turf Tiger. If you are looking for a very good mower, one that gives a good cut, not as good a ride, and is bought for a great deal less money, then the Bobcat is your machine. With that being said, if you are looking for a much better ride, equal cut, better resale value, but will cost you considerably more money to purchase, then the Scag Cheetah is your machine.
see thats the thing, the BobCat is only $600 cheaper than the SCAG, $600 is negligible when you are talking a 10k mower IMO...now granted the Scag comes with the 850FX kaw "standard" and the bobcat comes with the 921FX "standard", but the people I have talked with are telling me that the only difference they notice between the two motors is fuel consumption, the 921 isnt noticibly more powerful...