Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2013, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Killer house and shop as well. I bought a house with 8 acres in February and a shop is next. Planning a shop within the next 2 years.

How do you like the 6.7's? Any problems out of them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Backups are very important to me. I would be worried all the time without backups of everything. If you have a full route and something goes down, you're screwed.

The gray 6.7 has given me some trouble. Any diesel after 2008 will give you trouble every now and then. All of the sensors and emission BS is unreal on modern diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice shop and house looks awesome. Just the right size too. I had a quick question as to why put plastic up as vapor barrier. I've been in the construction business for a while now and using plastic as a vapor barrier creates condensation on the side of plastic that faces the exterior and then creates mold. I would use tyvek or some other sort of vapor barrier, but not plastic. Just my two cents though. Keep up the good work fellow hoosier
Old 11-16-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelyGuy View Post
Backups are very important to me. I would be worried all the time without backups of everything. If you have a full route and something goes down, you're screwed.

The gray 6.7 has given me some trouble. Any diesel after 2008 will give you trouble every now and then. All of the sensors and emission BS is unreal on modern diesels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I know about the BS that's on them anymore. It will be totally different stepping in to one of those from my 7.3's. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1979 View Post
Nice shop and house looks awesome. Just the right size too. I had a quick question as to why put plastic up as vapor barrier. I've been in the construction business for a while now and using plastic as a vapor barrier creates condensation on the side of plastic that faces the exterior and then creates mold. I would use tyvek or some other sort of vapor barrier, but not plastic. Just my two cents though. Keep up the good work fellow hoosier
Thank you! To answer your question, I am using Typar (similar to Tyvek) on the outside walls between the metal and the insulation. This will protect the insulation from any outside water infiltration, block drafts, and still allow the insulation to breath if it was to get damp. About the vapor barrier.. Being that the building will never be extremely warm when it's cold I probably wont need it, but I'm putting it up anyways. I think of it like putting plastic wrap over a warm bowl. The condensation collects on the inside of the plastic (warm side). If you put a vapor barrier on the outside, this would make the insulation wet. In the Southern climates, they put vapor barrier on the outside because in their case the warm side would normally be outside.

I hope you made it through the Sunday storm okay! I think Indy was in the clear for the most part. I had a tornado just up the road from me and I got lucky. Just got my power back late last night though.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Those storms were nasty. Nothing major around here. I think a car was flipped over sitting at a stop light, but no one was injured. Kokomo and Lebanon got hit really hard. I've got friends there, just hope there insurance takes care of them.
I built a 24x40 pole barn a couple of years ago. I wish I would have put my doors at one end. It works, but have to unhook trailer then put truck in next bay. I should have flipped the layout and had one 12' door at the end. I've got a wood burner that's going in there as soon as the concrete is poured. That may be next year.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier1979 View Post
Those storms were nasty. Nothing major around here. I think a car was flipped over sitting at a stop light, but no one was injured. Kokomo and Lebanon got hit really hard. I've got friends there, just hope there insurance takes care of them.
I built a 24x40 pole barn a couple of years ago. I wish I would have put my doors at one end. It works, but have to unhook trailer then put truck in next bay. I should have flipped the layout and had one 12' door at the end. I've got a wood burner that's going in there as soon as the concrete is poured. That may be next year.
Do your homework before hiring a concrete guy. My house builder recommended the guy that did my barn floor and he did an awful job. 1/3 of the concrete had to be ripped out and poured again because it heaved 1/2" where they cut it too deep.

I'm really making progress on the framing and insulation. I'll put up more pics soon. I didn't realize just how high 25' on a ladder over concrete is lol. I ordered a scaffold with wheels to do the ceiling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your shop is coming along nicely, I'm excited to see more progress pics!
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 11-28-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your shop looks amazing, congrats man! I have 2 6.7's and they are both awesome trucks. Only problem we have had is sensors (egr sensor I think). As soon as the warranty expires we are having it all physically removed and deleted off the computer. We just had a head gasket crack on a 6.0 and I had everything removed and delegated, $6k later and 20,000 miles later we have had no issues and it's running like a champ.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like that the shop is that close to the house. Walking is the last thing I want to do at the end of the day. My shop is about 20' from my house.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.