Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes Landscaping View Post
I hear ya, I have a career right now with a police department. Starting up part time in the spring. Looking at financing a mower and enclosed trailer now and everything else in cash.
I highly recommend a stander for your first mower. Buy a trailer to grow into. I'd go used on a trailer if you can find what you want. I never did and bought a junk carry on trailer new. The business I bought actually was from a county cop. He is one of 2 in the county. Very smart guy and can do anything with his hands. Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
I highly recommend a stander for your first mower. Buy a trailer to grow into. I'd go used on a trailer if you can find what you want. I never did and bought a junk carry on trailer new. The business I bought actually was from a county cop. He is one of 2 in the county. Very smart guy and can do anything with his hands. Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was going to go with a new Gravely Pro-Turn w/ bagger, got a good price on it with 0% interest for 48 months.

- Shindaiwa T242
- STIHL MS290 FarmBoss
- Echo PB500T

Starting 2014 - Solo Operation!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Banned

What's your other job? Congrats on the success.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttaluv View Post
Lord I HATE leaves! I don't care what anyone says, they don't pay enough!
you mean you have the wrong equipment to be efficient doing fall clean ups, and you don't charge enough! Because I just can't get enough of fall clean ups. my income doubles once I start doing fall clean ups. Its insane, and I'm not even on the high end for pricing.

Quote:

One of my leaf jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
looks good! do you find it much easier to save money now that you are debt free. I paid for my mower and bagger with cash but I have loan out on my 18' 2013 big tex 10pi and my 2013 bri mar 7x14hd dump trailer but I know i will only have the loan out on them for 1 year. I could pay the landscape trailer off now but I really need a second truck for general use as a back up.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes Landscaping View Post
I was going to go with a new Gravely Pro-Turn w/ bagger, got a good price on it with 0% interest for 48 months.
Actually that was the mower I almost got before the cheetah. It really depends on the area/properties you are targeting. 0 percent for 4 years is hard to beat. You must have good credit for these offers. I did 2 years at 0 percent on the cheetah everything else cash I had saved.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
you mean you have the wrong equipment to be efficient doing fall clean ups, and you don't charge enough! Because I just can't get enough of fall clean ups. my income doubles once I start doing fall clean ups. Its insane, and I'm not even on the high end for pricing.

Honesty it's only been about a month of debt free but I don't think it will change saving. There is always something on the want list. Always looking at more efficient equipment to make the jobs more profitable. You have to spend money to make real money in this biz. I have no problems with loans as long as the interest is low and it's justifiable. I'd take on another loan in a heartbeat just to keep the cash flow I have. On another note I also love leaf season. Wish I could have 2 months off from the day job. I don't make near what you make per hour but I'm happy with it. Smaller jobs are better for me but I only seem to get the jobs no homeowner could do. Leaf season is slower pace compared to mowing. It's sad what the bigger guys around me use to do leaf clean ups. I get a lot of looks from them when I'm out.

looks good! do you find it much easier to save money now that you are debt free. I paid for my mower and bagger with cash but I have loan out on my 18' 2013 big tex 10pi and my 2013 bri mar 7x14hd dump trailer but I know i will only have the loan out on them for 1 year. I could pay the landscape trailer off now but I really need a second truck for general use as a back up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler259 View Post
What's your other job? Congrats on the success.
CNC operater. Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

to have 12k in the bank and only be debt free for a month is pretty good unless part of that 12k is from previous months. for me fall clean ups are much quicker paced then mowing because, everyone wants their clean ups done before thanksgiving and I went to key west in the beginning of november which could have been a full work week, but I didn't lose any work or money because I wasn't home, but I could have worked and gotten a lot done.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
to have 12k in the bank and only be debt free for a month is pretty good unless part of that 12k is from previous months. for me fall clean ups are much quicker paced then mowing because, everyone wants their clean ups done before thanksgiving and I went to key west in the beginning of november which could have been a full work week, but I didn't lose any work or money because I wasn't home, but I could have worked and gotten a lot done.
I could of been debt free last year this time but I wouldn't have had any money to start up next year. I'm always buy new stuff so cash flow goes up and down. What I mean by slower pace is that I only can do one to two jobs a day. These are bigger jobs. So it's not like mowing where you stop for 25 mins then back in the truck to the next.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Round 1 of leaves done! Starting on round 2 after thanksgiving.
Posted via Mobile Device
im about to finish my second round of leaves now, and to have a third after thanksgiving just to get the last bits of the leaves that are holding on to the trees, it takes time but hey cant complain about it to much!!

Trailer:
2013 Diamond Cargo 16' Enclosed Trailer
1995 Haulmark 12' Open Trailer

Mowers:
Bunton Textron 36"
Exmark Metro 48"
Bunton Goodall 60"

BackPacks:
Kawasaki KRB750B
Kawasaki KRB750B
Kawasaki KRB650B
StringTrimmers: