Register free!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

herbicides in cold weather

I tested five herbicides on dandelions in cold weather. Soil temp was 33 and air temp was 35 at the time of application, November 12, 2013. Temperatures remained between 28 and 55. I tried to use label rates, but with squirt bottles, its an estimation. I used enough for 1000 sqft in 1-quart bottles.

After 10 days, I thought Speedzone was the most effective, T-Zone was almost as effective.
A three-way, Surge and Quicksilver were less effective--or perhaps slower to work.

I just thought you would want to see. Sorry the first two, focus was poor, until I changed to the close-up setting.

Not shown...Lesco Razorburn (glyphosate plus diquat) turned grass brown.
Attached Images

Last edited by RigglePLC; 11-21-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: add
Old 11-22-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting, Riggle. Thanks for the effort.

Do you remember from your warm (very warm) tests which worked best and caused least amount of damage? The reason I wonder is to see if there are any that worked best or well enough in both circumstances such that DIYs, small LCOs, or schools and parks without much acreage, qualified people, or equipment could keep that one on hand.

I am surprised Quicksilver did not work a little better.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Appreciate your effort Riggle but I think ur results may be a little misleading. This time of yr the speed of kill is a non factor.

Here is the type of information I like to use. When using 1 year data and when it's not duplicated etc results can be off.

Every yr is different and especially depending on where you live. Our theory is....if the weeds are still green and tanks/tips are not freezing up we are gonna keep going.

Dandies r not as much of an issue as we took them out a few months ago. We are after Chickweed and all his winter friends.

This is a great read.

http://purdueturftips.blogspot.com/2...o-control.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Appreciate your effort Riggle but I think ur results may be a little misleading. This time of yr the speed of kill is a non factor.

Here is the type of information I like to use. When using 1 year data and when it's not duplicated etc results can be off.

Every yr is different and especially depending on where you live. Our theory is....if the weeds are still green and tanks/tips are not freezing up we are gonna keep going.

Dandies r not as much of an issue as we took them out a few months ago. We are after Chickweed and all his winter friends.

This is a great read.

http://purdueturftips.blogspot.com/2...o-control.html
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

herbicides in cold weather

Good study Riggles, as usual! While most of the university research and published data says this is a little late for treatments, I have had really good results treating into mid November many different years. And yes each year is different with this year being as early a freezeup that I can remember! That duck blind is gonna be mighty frigid in the morning (16 for a low temp). And it looks like our waterfowl season might be over two weeks before it should be due to frozen lakes! Global warming???