Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dear ed2hess,

I don't like hijacking threads but given may of us spend $500+ on these I suppose the moderators will let it pass.

After buying several used articulated units I have found the lifetime of the machines depends solely on the gearbox, with the pinion gears wearing out first. Since these wear in pairs, they usually have to be ordered as a set which in a lot of cases is cost prohibitive.

Stihl had a 90 degree unit which wasn't all that great but the replacement 135 unit, though built great is a tad heavy and somewhat disposable with the pinion set costing $150+. Neither Redmax nor Echo make a decent articulating trimmer so I though I'd give Shindy a try until I found this thread.

Before I spend $500+ (this time I'm buying new) I would like to hear other peoples opinions on articulated trimmers if anyone has had good luck with a particular model.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 11-23-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
dear ed2hess,

I don't like hijacking threads but given may of us spend $500+ on these I suppose the moderators will let it pass.

After buying several used articulated units I have found the lifetime of the machines depends solely on the gearbox, with the pinion gears wearing out first. Since these wear in pairs, they usually have to be ordered as a set which in a lot of cases is cost prohibitive.

Stihl had a 90 degree unit which wasn't all that great but the replacement 135 unit, though built great is a tad heavy and somewhat disposable with the pinion set costing $150+. Neither Redmax nor Echo make a decent articulating trimmer so I though I'd give Shindy a try until I found this thread.

Before I spend $500+ (this time I'm buying new) I would like to hear other peoples opinions on articulated trimmers if anyone has had good luck with a particular model.
Our guys liked both of the shindaiwa hedge trimmers. One was straight the other articulating. Ours are at the end of third year. Who knows what they cut with them. Both had cracked upper housing so that cost us about $100. I am going to suggest better care in storing them in the trailer. I am going to re-engineer them to give protection. As one poster pointed out some change has been make so i will post opinion when i get parts.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info, I was initially going to buy Stihl since they are better built, as far as I can tell from the above pics.

But Stihl changed the design so if one gear strips, you have to buy a whole set with pressed-on bearings costing over $150. I bought a used HL100 for $100 thinking I could repair the box, but it seems this is not possible. If Shindy offers individual parts I will definitively give them a look.

Anyway here's the parts I'm talking about:
Attached Images

Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 11-23-2013, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

The echos are the best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
But Stihl changed the design so if one gear strips, you have to buy a whole set with pressed-on bearings costing over $150.
We used to run the Stihls, but our guys are rough...
We now run 2 of these units. The 1st one is 5 years old and I changed out the gears last year, just the gears can be bought, no need to buy the bearings.

We got a second unit this year. Also you can get the pole saw unit (TPS210) by it's self as you can get the hedge trimmer unit (TPH210) and attach it to most Tanaka line trimmers.

We can run both hedge trimmers at the same time and if needed, remove the head on a line trimmer to attach a pole saws. We have at one time or another had 2 hedge trimmers and 2 pole saws out at the same time.

Also, you can get the extensions in 2 and 3 foot, which will work on both the hedge trimmer and pole saw.....

Having them on the extensions, you can swap them out with the power unit with the turn of a knob and pulling a locking a pin in less then 30 seconds.

http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/...ts?d=332&p=902

http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/...?d=1,329&p=887

http://www.tanakapowerequipment.com/...saw-extensions

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 11-23-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

We have used shindaiwa articulated hedge trimmers for two years they just dont cut well. I plan on selling and buying another brand jan 1st
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
We have used shindaiwa articulated hedge trimmers for two years they just dont cut well. I plan on selling and buying another brand jan 1st
Posted via Mobile Device
That is interesting i thought the blades seem razor sharp after 3 years. I guess i better use it when i get em going.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
That is interesting i thought the blades seem razor sharp after 3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
We have used shindaiwa articulated hedge trimmers for two years they just dont cut well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ahhhh..I have to ask...Youse guys do sharpen them

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 11-24-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I've found http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/ and http://www.ereplacementparts.com/shi...s-c-34630.html both good for finding the parts i need for my shindy equipment
i find it funny how you guys complain about prices when i save money buying from these stores and shipping the items to Australia than i can buy them here I've had by articulated hedger for over 6 years with out any problems except bent blades but i always transport with the blades facing back towards the engine
Old 11-24-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
Ahhhh..I have to ask...Youse guys do sharpen them
Yes but they just dont slide through hedge easily has to be result of guard the install on top. We were givin a new kawasaki hedge trimmer by dealer to try moves through so much better. You can even cut down thick lirope with them. We thought about removing guards on shindys.
Posted via Mobile Device