Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What MPG is your dump truck getting?

Somewhat recently bought out first dump truck. Chevy k3500 flatbed dump with 99k miles. She'd been very much used by previous owner.she has the 5.7 350 gas engine. We've replaced:
Spark plugs
Air filter
Tie rid ends
Stabilizer link
Wheel hub assembly
Ball joint
Universal joints in front drive shaft
Oil pan and seal
Idler arm

She need a new fuel pump in rear tank but main tank works fine other than bad sending unit(gas gauge doesn't work). We will be putting all new fuel lines and filters on shortly plus all new brake lines and brakes. After everything I will put new tires and and have her aligned.

Currently only getting 5.7 mpg with the attached leaf loader and pulling mowers. I'm inly getting around 6 without a trailer. I'm hoping once she has new tires and an alignment it will improve- I hope...

Does this sound normal range for gas consumption on this size truck with the given engine type? Pics of the truck can be seen in my link in my signature.

What type of fuel mileage are you getting in your gas engine dumps?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it normal. It's a work truck, 3/4 ton and up all get bad mileage. They have a lower gear in the rear end designed for work. I run a 1977 F350 with a 10' dump and mines about 8mpg.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's about average for a older gas dump. We average anywhere from 10-12 in ours depending on what they are hauling.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Loaded our 2wd ram 4500 gets 10-11 I can see 15-17 when I'm just driving her. Our 4wd ram 4500 gets 3-4 mpg less in each category. Won't make that mistake again in fact when I do replace them with new ones not only will they be 2wd but also I will change the gears which are now mid options of 444s and go with 410s. I haul stuff but nothing that requires the low efficiency gear sets. My trucks don't even know when they have a trailer its nothing to them.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dads f350 diesel gets 15-17. With a dump insert and single cab 4x4

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I can get up to the 8-9 range I'd be satisfied. I'm very uncomfortable with the current 5.5-6 mpg range
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I have 2010 chevy 3500 series dump with auto trans. It gets 10-12 with air running but had a ford previously with international diesel it would get 14 or more even with air on.
Our sterling tri axle dumps are 2010 models they get 6 loaded and 8 empty
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityLawnCareLLC View Post
If I can get up to the 8-9 range I'd be satisfied. I'm very uncomfortable with the current 5.5-6 mpg range
Posted via Mobile Device
Is two miles a gallon seriously that big of a deal to you?

You guys crack me up with this gas mileage crap. Its a work truck put gas in it when it needs it nothing you can do about it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Is two miles a gallon seriously that big of a deal to you?
You guys crack me up with this gas mileage crap. Its a work truck put gas in it when it needs it nothing you can do about it
Posted via Mobile Device
It is kinda funny when dump trucks don't get that many miles on them. I drive 600-800 miles a week in the summer with my main towing truck and that is a bit different. I get 9.5 mpg with my 1993 1ton 6.5 diesel towing 8k in fairly good sized hills. Friend of mine did the same route with his 1986 454 dulley pulling one of my trucks home. He had 14k on and averaged about 3mpg. I would of been about 8 or 9. My half ton dodge with a 318 gets 9-10 mpg towing 4-6 on flat ground. If I get on the freeway it gets worse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Eighteen months ago I found a F700 that went through the Nashville flood. I gave $5200 and spent about $1000 to dewater and dress it up it has a 429 5&2 w/a 31000 gvw cold air looks as new as a 95 model can. Has a 14 ft dump gets 5.5 unless you drive it over 60. Last winter bought 95 T300 KW for $4800 and shortened it in my shop and mounted a used 18 ft flat dump and it gets 6-8 depending on what it does. It is powered by 8.3 Cummins whit a 6 spd Fuller. Still have the 14ft gooseneck dump we used to think was better than good. medium duty trucks can be had reasonably and are cheaper to run than pickups and trailers.