Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-23-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What if you kept your current trailer and just added a CTL?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8 View Post
What if you kept your current trailer and just added a CTL?
I don't think he's legally going to be able to carry a 50 HP tractor and skid steer on a dual tandem. I'm not quite sure if that's a good idea with a pick up truck either I've never seen someone do it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I don't think he's legally going to be able to carry a 50 HP tractor and skid steer on a dual tandem. I'm not quite sure if that's a good idea with a pick up truck either I've never seen someone do it
Posted via Mobile Device
My current deck over is only a 20' deck w/ 5' dovetail, plus it's only has 7k # axles. With a dual tandem gooseneck ill be just fine in the weight category. Tractor weighs right around 6k #s and my current Skidsteer is 5500#s. when I do upgrade to a larger CTL most are in the 8-10k #s range so I will still have some safety room weight wise on the trailer.

I need the length to carry both machines. Also would allow me to haul bulk totes of full sandbags to job sites.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't think he's legally going to be able to carry a 50 HP tractor and skid steer on a dual tandem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why would I not be legally able to carry both? ive hauled D3 on a dual tandem deck over behind an F350 and went thought a DOT stop with no issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

Used to move a 331 bobcat mini ex and 773 skidsteer on a ten ton gooseneck behind a 3500 dodge all the time .. I've moved a 430 cat backhoe behind an F550 on a 12ton gooseneck.. It's possible and legal. Would I recommend moving some things like that day in an day out? Of course not. But for what Jacob wants to move he'll have no problems..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

The GMC's with the 454 or 496 are fine however, when GM quit making a medium truck parts have become an issue. Seems as if 45-8500's became orphans and they don't really care. I have a 99 6500 that rarely needs parts but can make finding them trying. If you buy a short dump and have trailer why can't you haul pallets on the trailer. We have an 18' flat dump and a 14' dump w/24" sides with 12" tip tops and we built 18" sides for the flat, thought we wanted a contractors dump but rather have the flat. When you need to haul gravel or tearout can't beat regular dump. We did build a wooden gate for the rear that is easily removable so we can haul pallets in the truck. We used 5/4 deck boards to make it lite we never tailgate rock anyway.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
Used to move a 331 bobcat mini ex and 773 skidsteer on a ten ton gooseneck behind a 3500 dodge all the time .. I've moved a 430 cat backhoe behind an F550 on a 12ton gooseneck.. It's possible and legal. Would I recommend moving some things like that day in an day out? Of course not. But for what Jacob wants to move he'll have no problems..
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought his tractor was much heavier than he said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
What i meant is that he should worry about getting a CTL. As of right now he has a skidsteer and a tractor, but for his business it seems like a CTL would be the best fit. In an emergency flood a skidsteer would get stuck in the mud in no time. Even if he could load only one machine onto his trailer, the CTL would be his best bet. If it were in the cards to buy a bigger trailer and get a CTL well that would be great but as of right now I don't think it is.

Jacob,

if you had an emergency call at 3am this morning asking for 1000 sandbags and clearing of mud and fallen trees what would you do? do you think your skidsteer would be able to tackle the job in the mud/flood? it would suck to be stuck in that situation because its not like you can just go rent a machine at any time.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

^ hes got a point there
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
^ hes got a point there
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes he does. Now he's got me thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device