Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meador56 View Post
Eighteen months ago I found a F700 that went through the Nashville flood. I gave $5200 and spent about $1000 to dewater and dress it up it has a 429 5&2 w/a 31000 gvw cold air looks as new as a 95 model can. Has a 14 ft dump gets 5.5 unless you drive it over 60. Last winter bought 95 T300 KW for $4800 and shortened it in my shop and mounted a used 18 ft flat dump and it gets 6-8 depending on what it does. It is powered by 8.3 Cummins whit a 6 spd Fuller. Still have the 14ft gooseneck dump we used to think was better than good. medium duty trucks can be had reasonably and are cheaper to run than pickups and trailers.
What I don't get is my dad drive a semi with around a 14L 550hp engine and despite the truck weighing 80k loaded he can get 7-8 mpg on the freeway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-24-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

The pickup manufacturers get in these races with each other and throw practicality out the door. Our 2011 2500hd just has turned 2 with 56000 on it its a 6.0 that gets 8-9 loaded 10-12 empty it is 4x4 x-cab. 2 mos ago we bought '13 F250 4x4 x-cab with a 6.2 gas at 6000 miles the milage is the except on the road it will get 12-13 both are 3.73 and almost identical it replaces 04 F250 4x4 x-cab 5.4 pretty much same gears and mpg. This truck has 196000 miles we just sold Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins 96 model had 11 ft flat it got 10-12 empty and 16 loaded. We still also have two GMC 3500's a 7.4 and 8.1. Just can't make the added expense for the diesel work.
We can't trailer as cheap as we can use the mediums and when they pull our 18' flat they pull nearly free. If you don't think I know which brand of truck runs the cheapest try me.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Your mistake is such a big truck with a gas engine. If you go with a dump full size, diesel is only way to go. My f450 7.3 diesel gets about 15 to 16 mpg loaded with 10 yards of hardwood mulch and an enclosed trailer weighing about 6k loaded. It has good work gears in it. I don't drive it much unloaded but if i had to guess may get 1 or 2 more mpg unloaded. A truck that loses alot of mpg doing the job is the wrong truck for the job in my opinion, losing half of your mpg is over working a truck. I will never understand why they even make dumps with medium size truck gas v8s. Never owned one like that and never will. Just like I do not understand ppl putting dump beds on 3500 or 350 series trucks and below.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-25-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
Your mistake is such a big truck with a gas engine. If you go with a dump full size, diesel is only way to go. My f450 7.3 diesel gets about 15 to 16 mpg loaded with 10 yards of hardwood mulch and an enclosed trailer weighing about 6k loaded. It has good work gears in it. I don't drive it much unloaded but if i had to guess may get 1 or 2 more mpg unloaded. A truck that loses alot of mpg doing the job is the wrong truck for the job in my opinion, losing half of your mpg is over working a truck. I will never understand why they even make dumps with medium size truck gas v8s. Never owned one like that and never will. Just like I do not understand ppl putting dump beds on 3500 or 350 series trucks and below.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're believing the digital read out for your mpg aren't you?

To the OP. Part of your gas mileage problem is a 1ton dually with only a 5.7 in it. To move the truck around empty the motor is working, not imagine adding 3-4k in the bed and say a 6k trailer behind it. Now that little motor is pissed and working it's @ss off. If the truck was a big block (7.4/454) it may get the same mileage or possibly even a little bit better. The bigger motor won't be working nearly as hard to move the same load. Even if it gets the same mileage you should still be money ahead since it's not working as hard and there for should live a long life with fewer break downs.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Digital read out haha. My mpg is based on knowing size of both my tanks and the trip milage... 90s f450 with digital read outs. That's funny. Even if I had one I wouldn't believe it. I dont think you know much about old 7.3 international diesel. My buddy has one that gets in the 20s for mpg but his is a pleasure truck and chipped out. Big blocks are a mistake, gas is fine in a maintenance truck or pleasure truck. They are not made for day in and day out heavy work. That is what a diesel is built for. A big block is a mistake. Why invest extra money is a gas hog that is still not as good as a diesel?!? When you can invest your extra money in a diesel.that big block will require more repairs, not last nearly as long, horribly gas milage, and still less powerful than a comparable diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My dump truck is a c65 chevy. It has the 366 industrial engine,being a 79 model ithink it is safe the gasser has definitly stood the test of time. Milage is horrible at 6 empty and 4 loaded. However it can legally carry 3 to4 times what a 350 or 450 sized truck can. Repairs are very inexpensive compared to a diesel. The price to purchase it was also well below the purchase price of a diesel. These trucks arent for everyone buut thisone consistantly has made me money and has long ago paid for itself. The secret to a gas engine working in a truck this size is in the gearing. 10 is better than4 or 5. I dont understand the smaller dump trucks diesel or gas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
You're believing the digital read out for your mpg aren't you?

To the OP. Part of your gas mileage problem is a 1ton dually with only a 5.7 in it. To move the truck around empty the motor is working, not imagine adding 3-4k in the bed and say a 6k trailer behind it. Now that little motor is pissed and working it's @ss off. If the truck was a big block (7.4/454) it may get the same mileage or possibly even a little bit better. The bigger motor won't be working nearly as hard to move the same load. Even if it gets the same mileage you should still be money ahead since it's not working as hard and there for should live a long life with fewer break downs.
Yeah I know....
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Even before reading this I've been questioning wether or not to keep it. I love everything about it except the small engine. It's a flatbed dump with saddle tool boxes and 4x4- exactly what I want In a dump. I look forward to using it as my lawn treatment truck- can carry pallets of Fert plus a skid plus a permagreen. Obviously used to carry mulch and to do leaves in the fall. If I could just get between 8-9mpg I would be much more content. I too question why such a small motor.

Anyone have an positive feedback on their smaller engine gas dump?
Old 12-04-2013, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I find it hard to believe that people are getting 15-16 in their diesel dumps. my 550 with the 7.3 gets around 8-9 loaded with 6-8k in it. granted we have a lot of hills around here. has anyone done any performance upgrades for dump trucks?