Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good point right there Smallaxe. Our snow is melting & hope to do a few more dormant seeding jobs next week (weather permitting). But I see Wisconsin will probably get more snow really soon. yikes
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This part of Wisco is freezing up solid with little likelihood of thaw until it is covered in snow now... I'm hoping that the little snow that we got at least freeze-dries enough to allow me to get the leaves up one more time and get the seed down before a real snow storm hits...
The forecast has changed now and give my area snow-free days until Dec. 3rd... This will be the coldest Thanksgiving in quite a while now...
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya buddy. Looks like 40's here Saturday - Monday. Watching the forecast very closely so we can get our stuff done too. We have 2 day's worth of work. Looking to pick the best two days of next week. Best of luck.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Still no luck here...
I got rid of most of the leaves,,, but I'd like to do another cleanup as the grass is dormant now and isn't much chance of new leaves suffocating the grass anymore this season... this inch of new snow may help it thaw once we hit 35 degrees this weekend...

If I can make that happen I'll broadcast seed in certain areas and my year is over...
Old 12-02-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
I hear ya buddy. Looks like 40's here Saturday - Monday. Watching the forecast very closely so we can get our stuff done too. We have 2 day's worth of work. Looking to pick the best two days of next week. Best of luck.
Just made it...
I can easily finish the leaves off the grass and finish off the Dormant seeding today... Yesterday I cleaned up a couple of acres and broadcast about 8 pounds of seed with some of the ground still frozen...

Today will be about the same area, over several lawns, but expect to use less seed and the snow/rain/ice starts tonite... after that it will be a while before we get any where near 32 deg. again...

Did you finish off this weekend also,,, or were you done before the cold snap???
Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good deal there Smallaxe. We lucked out too. We finished aerations, dormant seedings, and winterizer fert apps late this afternoon. After today, it won't be 50 degrees -- instead....well, you can see the weather map.

I'm sure many leaf removal companies will continue - even if the ground is frozen, just to do the best they can.

I had a "prepaid" aeration today. Instead of aerating, we did a leaf removal/fall clean-up instead. The leaf cover was very heavy (some areas = 8 - 10 inches deep). Underneath, the leaves were wet & decomposing...killing the turf. Customer called yesterday asking where his aeration was, and said he was hoping to clean his leaves up soon. A few minutes ago, he called our office. He was SO HAPPY that we did the leaf removal cuz we would never had gotten to it. So it worked out.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

8-10 inches of leaves starting to decompose and killing the turf... wow... I love it when the client says that he'll take care of the leaves...

I have all my clients convinced now that keeping the lawn clean throughout the Fall is necessary for the grass to stay alive and prepare for winter... w/out the ability to photosynthesize the winterizer doesn't do much good...

That keeps me working every lawn, every 2 weeks...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like the season is over and we have about 3" of snow cover... Expect to go below 0 tonite with winds whipping around like mad right now... So the ground will freeze solid and actually quite deep with the seed is suspended under the snow...

I seeded a lawn(experiment) that has conventional squirt&fert guys on it with pre-M in early Spring, so it will be interesting to see if the grass can get going before its killed by CG control...