Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-24-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the difference between the two 42" Walker mulching decks?

Is it just the blades? Or are the actual decks different? One is an older design, correct? Is one suggested on certain types of grass over the other?

Thanks for any info.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Considering there are three different 42" decks, which two decks are you trying to compare to one another?
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-25-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On their website they show two 42" mulching only decks. http://walkermowers.com/decks/ml-42i...42in-107cm.php
Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post
On their website they show two 42" mulching only decks. http://walkermowers.com/decks/ml-42i...42in-107cm.php
The 4 blade set up is the old style, single blade is new style. I would assume the single wavy set blades work best. I demoed a 42" mulching deck a few years ago that didn't work good in my tall grass. I don't know if it was the single blade or double blade deck. The dealer stated that I would need to cut the grass a couple of times a week to get it to work with good looking results.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
They actually offer 4 different 42" decks (1 "mulching deck" with two different blade options and 3 other 42" decks) :

GHS 42" http://walkermowers.com/decks/ghs-42...42in-107cm.php

DML42A/DML42B (one deck with two different blade options) http://walkermowers.com/decks/ml-42i...42in-107cm.php

42" SD http://walkermowers.com/decks/sd-42i...42in-107cm.php

42" SD BD http://walkermowers.com/decks/bd-42i...42in-107cm.php

I totally misunderstood what you were asking…I thought you were asking what the difference was between the one "mulching deck" and one of the other three 42" decks. I now realize you were just asking what the difference is between the two different mulching blade configuration that they show on the link you provided.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 11-26-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I believe the only difference with the two 42" ML decks that are shown on the website is the blade styles. They played with a few different versions of the 42" mulching decks and those are the two variations that worked the best. If I can remember from what I saw over the years (I could be totally wrong) the original decks had the 4 blades but no vent holes on the front edge of the deck. Than they came out with the wavy blades with the vent holes on the front of the deck. After that they went back to the 4 blades on the deck with the vent holes. I have the deck with the wavy blades and it works well but the blades are tough to sharpen. However my favorite mulching deck is the newer 48" mulching deck with the g6 gator blades and wings on the blade hub. That deck is incredible. Since we started using them we haven't had a need for bagging anymore.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
I believe the only difference with the two 42" ML decks that are shown on the website is the blade styles. They played with a few different versions of the 42" mulching decks and those are the two variations that worked the best. If I can remember from what I saw over the years (I could be totally wrong) the original decks had the 4 blades but no vent holes on the front edge of the deck. Than they came out with the wavy blades with the vent holes on the front of the deck. After that they went back to the 4 blades on the deck with the vent holes. I have the deck with the wavy blades and it works well but the blades are tough to sharpen. However my favorite mulching deck is the newer 48" mulching deck with the g6 gator blades and wings on the blade hub. That deck is incredible. Since we started using them we haven't had a need for bagging anymore.
Do they make the G6's for 42s?

I'm just curious as to why they still sell "two" mulching only decks. Even if the only difference is the blades...

Sounds like the "new" decks have the vent holes and it's up to the individual owner as to which blade he/she prefers.

To those of you who own mulching decks... does the extra HP in the EFI motor really make a $1000 difference in cut quality? I would never expect to be able to go over a lawn once and get the quality that I want in a mulching deck... so Double cutting in both the 18hp and the 23hp...is there anything there beyond fuel economy?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Do they make the G6's for 42s?

I'm just curious as to why they still sell "two" mulching only decks. Even if the only difference is the blades...

Sounds like the "new" decks have the vent holes and it's up to the individual owner as to which blade he/she prefers.

To those of you who own mulching decks... does the extra HP in the EFI motor really make a $1000 difference in cut quality? I would never expect to be able to go over a lawn once and get the quality that I want in a mulching deck... so Double cutting in both the 18hp and the 23hp...is there anything there beyond fuel economy?
They don't have G6's for the 42"s. I guess they offer both deck set ups because they still have enough request for both of them. One blade set up must handle certain types of grass then the other set up. Hey multiple choices are a good thing.

I don't know if you would see a $1000 difference in the cut quality but there are some benefits that I have found worth spending the extra $$$. I assume if you are talking about the 18hp vs the 23hp efi and mulching decks, that you are looking at the MB's. I have one 18hp MB and 2 of the MB 23 efis. The 18 runs just fine and has plenty of power for a good cut with a mulching deck. We find that the 23 efi to be a better balanced machine because of the little extra weight. Also the efi's start up and run nicer in any temperature. The efi's also seem to have a better power-curve and don't bog down. You have already stated the better fuel economy. The 23hp machines seem to be peppier than the 18hp machine. We also have a bunch of 26 hp efi engines and all of the efi units just have been more reliable than the carb engines in our fleet. We have had good luck with our efi's so for us the extra $1000 is worth it to me.