Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2003, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Meanings of terms

Another newbie here! I am hoping someone can direct me to some place I might be able to get a working knowledge of different terms that pertain to equipment. Also to learn what relevance each term has. Like one thing I am looking to purchase is my first mower and have terms like fixed decks, floating decks, Hydro etc popping up and am not clear where I might find definitions for these terms and learn more about their importance. I started this season strictly as a Landscape Designer doing plantings and installations, but have received calls from some of my clients to start maintaining their lawns. I have agreed to do it and would like to be fully operational by the week of October 6th, so that I can cut my teeth on a partial season and not get too overwhelmed right off the bat.
I appreciate any help you might be able to offer!
Thanks in advance,
marg

:blob1:
Old 09-25-2003, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greetings Marg, welcome to LawnSite.
This site is probably the best source for all the info you're looking for. Suggest using the search function. Type in one term, abbreviation, phrase, etc at a time. You'll find threads/discussions/posts about each. May have to do some analytical reading to solve the actual definition for each, but you'll get an education here for free.
If there's any you can't figure out, start a thread with one type of 'term' and just ask what is this/what does this mean, type question.

Equipment dealers themselves are another good source for this type of info, just remember, they are sales types.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto what Rustic Goat said, plus combine your reading with testing/demo some different style mowers at a few of your local dealers.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would suggest the same as stated above. Just read up on the site and also do other research on your own to find out more. You can never have too much knowledge
Old 09-25-2003, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

LongIslander, I would suggest that you look at several options before just going out and purchasing a mower. Remeber, everybody has the greatest product on the market, or they think they do. When you go looking, ask for names of people actually using certain models and give them a call. Absolutely, don't purchase anything other than a commercial type mower, make sure it is anti-scalp, powered somehow other than you pushing it and has a warrantee, parts available and everything at a reasonable price. Do the demo like the other suggest. Attend a landscape or lawn show near you to get an easy walk around rather than trying to drive all over the country looking at different dealerships. GWH