Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at Giant Vac and like it a lot. Problem is in my area there was only 1 dealer within 50 or so miles before Scag owned them. Havent looked at them tecently since Scag took the over.

With the way stuff takes a beating and with other people using it, plastic and no rear propel, no BG was a no brainer for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
It looks like the Giant-Vac has a higher CFM rating than the Little Wonder and Billy Goat. I asked my dealer which they prefer and they said the little wonder due to the metal construction but said they want to sell the Giant-Vac but they don't sell scag mowers so they can't.
Imo the metal and the plastic are of the same strength. We had the billy goat fall off the open trailer tuning the corner and there was no damage to the plastic. Maybe as scratch or two. If that was a little wonder,I could only imagine the dents and dings it would have
13 HP Billy Goat blower
3 Red Max 8500

http://www.mapropertymaintenance.com

https://www.facebook.com/PropertyMaintenance.MA
Old 11-27-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it had tie downs, that wouldn't happen...and no way plastic is as strong as steel. If it were, pretty sure Scag would've went that way, also. The models I just checked on their website, look like steel to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
If it had tie downs, that wouldn't happen...and no way plastic is as strong as steel. If it were, pretty sure Scag would've went that way, also. The models I just checked on their website, look like steel to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
One of the employees forgot to bungee it in. Tie downs are not really a good selling point. Performance and durability are. Rumor has it that the little wonder chute control is garbage. Another win for billy goat with the point and shoot
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&A Property Maintenance View Post
One of the employees forgot to bungee it in. Tie downs are not really a good selling point. Performance and durability are. Rumor has it that the little wonder chute control is garbage. Another win for billy goat with the point and shoot
Posted via Mobile Device
A bungee? A couple ratchet straps but certainly wouldn't use a bungee.

Why is a tie down not a good selling point? Every piece of machinery in an open trailer is supposed to be tied down with 2 straps or 2 wheels locked down. In Pennsylvania, if its not, you can be fined $300 per machine.

Curious as to the "rumor". Haven't heard or had any experience with that problem. The point and shoot is cool, however, unless something has changed, it can't be closed off, so if you want to go past an area without blowing debris on/at it, you have to shut down or turn it around as the point and shoot can only point up in the air so far. Lotta work when u can just push the deflector on the Little Wonder. I researched both very hard before purchasing and couldn't find any reason to buy the BG or I certainly would have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-27-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
A bungee? A couple ratchet straps but certainly wouldn't use a bungee.

Why is a tie down not a good selling point? Every piece of machinery in an open trailer is supposed to be tied down with 2 straps or 2 wheels locked down. In Pennsylvania, if its not, you can be fined $300 per machine.

Curious as to the "rumor". Haven't heard or had any experience with that problem. The point and shoot is cool, however, unless something has changed, it can't be closed off, so if you want to go past an area without blowing debris on/at it, you have to shut down or turn it around as the point and shoot can only point up in the air so far. Lotta work when u can just push the deflector on the Little Wonder. I researched both very hard before purchasing and couldn't find any reason to buy the BG or I certainly would have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not really a lot of work, throttle down, release handle, and walk by. No bending over to close off the chute, and then bending again to open.

Yes,a bungee to go a 1/4 mile down the street. Ratchet straps are a waste of time. But as I said before, but the trailer kit and its secure in seconds. So your telling me, you strap everything down to move 1/4 mile down the street?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ly+goat&page=2. Read post #17
13 HP Billy Goat blower
3 Red Max 8500

http://www.mapropertymaintenance.com

https://www.facebook.com/PropertyMaintenance.MA
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Not really a lot of work, throttle down, release handle, and walk by. No bending over to close off the chute, and then bending again to open.

Yes,a bungee to go a 1/4 mile down the street. Ratchet straps are a waste of time. But as I said before, but the trailer kit and its secure in seconds. So your telling me, you strap everything down to move 1/4 mile down the street?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ly+goat&page=2. Read post #17
No bending over to close the side chute on the Little Wonder. Push the lever. The front chute can be closed off or left open and can throttle down as you said. The front chute needs to be manually open/closed. Does BG even have a front chute?

The ratchet straps we have, Erickson retractable ratchet straps(we use for everything), takes approx 30 seconds to tie stuff down.

As I said, spending $100+ on multiple locks or even 1 lock, for a piece of equipment that doesn't always go in the same spot is pretty much a waste of money when the tie downs are already built to the machine.

Really? That 1 thread? Unless you can get one for a great price, and since the engine and specs are almost exact, and unless you really need the point and shoot for whatever reason, the BG is not even close to the Little Wonder, as the advantages I listed are overwhelming, especially if you go the self propel route.

Edit: Totally forgot BG doesn't even have a front chute. Gotta run the side all the time. Honestly, end of story right there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-27-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
No bending over to close the side chute on the Little Wonder. The front chute can be closed off or left open and can throttle down as you said.

The ratchet straps we have, Erikkson retractable ratchet straps(we use for everything) takes approx 30 seconds to tie stuff down.

As I said, spending $100+ on multiple locks or even 1 lock, for a piece of equipment that doesn't always go in the same spot is pretty much a waste of money when the tie downs are already built to the machine.

Really? That 1 thread? Unless you can get one for a great price, and since the engine and specs are almost exact, and unless you really need the point and shoot for whatever reason, the BG is not even close to the Little Wonder, as the advantages I listed are overwhelming, especially if you go the self propel route.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK. So you have used the billy goat? Because I have used both and IMHO the billy goat is superior to the little wonder. Try the point and shoot, it allows you to get everything embedded in the lawn. Acorns, nuts, rocks, etc.... Take away our self propelled and try pushing them both. You tell me which one you prefer.

There are lots more threads, but if you want to see them, you search

And where did you get the 100$ locks from? Paid 35.99. Probably less than what you paid for your 2 ratchet straps.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
OK. So you have used the billy goat? Because I have used both and IMHO the billy goat is superior to the little wonder. Try the point and shoot, it allows you to get everything embedded in the lawn. Acorns, nuts, rocks, etc.... Take away our self propelled and try pushing them both. You tell me which one you prefer.

There are lots more threads, but if you want to see them, you search

And where did you get the 100$ locks from? Paid 35.99. Probably less than what you paid for your 2 ratchet straps.

Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, used them both. You can't even blow out the frt and I forgot all about that. If you need the point and shoot to blow acorns, nuts, rocks, etc..., youve got a machine problem or a smaller motor. You can open the deflector on the LW as small or large as you want and can run the front and side chute at the same time. The smaller you open it the more it shoots towards the ground.

Gotta admit, $35 is cheap. They were more when I was looking. I paid $18/apiece for them from Amazon and we use them for all the equipment. Can buy them for less now. We have the 2"x10'. 3000lbs+ strength and don't have to bolt them down. Press the button and they pull or release. Couple cranks and good to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-27-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yep, used them both. You can't even blow out the frt and I forgot all about that. If you need the point and shoot to blow acorns, nuts, rocks, etc..., youve got a machine problem or a smaller motor. You can open the deflector on the LW as small or large as you want and can run the front and side chute at the same time. The smaller you open it the more it shoots towards the ground.

Gotta admit, $35 is cheap. They were more when I was looking. I paid $18/apiece for them from Amazon and we use them for all the equipment. Can buy them for less now. We have the 2"x10'. 3000lbs+ strength and don't have to bolt them down. Press the button and they pull or release. Couple cranks and good to go.
Posted via Mobile Device
The billy goat does have a front chute attachment. Gotta admit, little wonder wins in this category. But honestly, I don't find myself needing to shoot out the front that often.
Posted via Mobile Device