Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc1004 View Post
$2 per 1000 sq ft works great on larger commercial work .Just dont use that for any job to small .A 6,000 sq ft lawn would be 12 dollars .lol
Lolololol!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That leaf clean up was a fair price, that lady is nuts. You're new, so here's some sound advice. You don't WANT that job.

The mow was a little high, on commercial properties that big you need to be right on the money with your bid. However, research commercial mowing on here some. You'll see that it's a tough game. So don't sweat it. There's always some jackass that's willing to mow it with a garden tractor for peanuts. If you got it for an unreasonably low price, you'd be bummed out that you're working your ass off for nothing. Again, that's an account you don't want.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the help. I've re-calculated my pricing based on the advice given and the church job now comes out to be $213.

Hopefully I'm better placed now to win the next bid.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazoneyo View Post
Thanks guys for the help. I've re-calculated my pricing based on the advice given and the church job now comes out to be $213.

Hopefully I'm better placed now to win the next bid.
Good luck, we all wish you the best. It's really tough starting out, but things get better. Find your best advertising resource, and then use it and constantly keep on top if it. I found a local website that's done wonders for me, all the money spent on advertising and the free local forum is the one that brings in all my business.

Don't waste money on advertising that doesn't work. The most direct advertising is the one that gets results. Door hangers are fantastic. Hang them yourself, write mowing estimates on them.

Best advice though, don't step on toes. The big guys don't mind the small guys as long as they aren't poaching their big money makers, or aren't under cutting them at every turn. Your prices are good, stick to them. Big commercial lots tend to get bid down to unreasonable dollars and cents, and the only one who wins is the property owner.

Make friends, competition is healthy for the market, but don't make it a competition. I've always made an effort to try and be outgoing and nice to everyone. It makes a huge difference in your appearance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your leaf clean up sounded ridiculously low she showed you mercy by not picking you. That size property its quite common for me to get 500-1000 for the clean up in fact they suck so bad id rather pass and stick with smaller ones. So many factors that go into those bids the beds can take a few mins or a few dozen hours the lawn can give up the leaves like my 3rd clean up today or it can be lush and very tall like my 2nd today and bring the clean up to a crawl. I seriously doubt that would have only taken 4 man hours but you were there and I can only go on what you stated.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Pennings - Thanks for the advice. The big guys in my area all do commercial only so I don't have the equipment to compete with them - yet. My goal is to get residential accounts first. The competition round here is college kids using the family ztr or retired guys on lawn tractors.

Kelly's - $500 - $1000, wow. I guess you live in a richer area than I do. I'm not good at estimating yet but I also think it would have taken more than 4 hours (the 4 hrs mentioned was for the church job not this one). I thought it would most likely take 6- 7 hrs.