Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of measuring scales for mixing?

Was wondering what you guys use to do your mixing with. When pouring from 2.5 gallon jugs of pesticide without making a mess as well as measuring scales for powders. If you have them, post pictures of your mixing/loading equipment. Thanks, Larry

Larry-YardBoss Lawncare
8 years in the business.
Oklahoma Licensed Pesticide Applicator (3a)
2012 Hustler X-One 60", 26hp, Flex Forks, Mulch Kit
Echo Handhelds

Old 12-02-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Larry, good question. Two scales: one weighs from one to 8 pounds. Second weighs from 1 to 8 ounces--a few grams to 200 grams--both are inexpensive kitchen scales.

For liquids I use a large 2 qt graduated pitches that I got at Lesco; ounces, pints and liters, but the numbers are a bit small, poly plastic. Sometimes this is a problem, because it is inconvenient to rinse it each time, (pouring rinsate in the tank after using the spray hose and gun to rinse it). At times it gets sticky and accumulates dirt leaves and foreign residue that I don't want in my tank.

So...I devised an inside the tank measuring jug. It hangs on a short cord inside the tank. Pour required amount directly from the jug. Pull a second cord to tip the container up and drain the contents into the tank. No rinsing or cleaning needed. The measuring jar is marked with the amount needed for 100 or 200 gallons as a convenience. No need to carry a half-full pitcher of herbicide as you make that risky climb up onto the truck to add it to your skid sprayer.

Naturally you want to use a separate measuring jar for spraying insecticide on ornamentals tomatoes and sensitive trees.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 32 oz measuring cup that fits inside of the strainer basket. So when I am filling with the air gap, the water washes out that cup. For the dry and what I am using, it is the 100g X 0.01 g scales. Warm season turf uses a lot of herbicides measured in less than 1 oz per acre increments.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738