Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the thread got hijacked. Anyone want to comment on the OPs original question?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't get a clean looking cut at 8 mph unless it's a weekly cut with no fertilize or irrigation and the cheetah is NOOOO different here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

2012 I demoed a cheetah with the brigs this year I got to use a brand new never used before 61 cheetah with the 31 Kawasaki for more than 100 hours. The cut was typical scag acceptable at best sometimes worse. I had certain lawns that came out very bad then for the added insult double cutting made them worse.

The controls were outstanding and mechanically it was a very nice machine other than the deck. Yet I bought 2 new exmark X series instead a 60 with the 34 hp fuel injection with red tech and a 72 with the 38 hp fuel injection with red tech. My reasons were simple the scag with the kawi or the brigs proved to be a gas PIG. 2 gallons an hour it would kill the 7.5 gallon side tank in under 4 hours. I got larger more powerful mowers instead and my fuel consumption is half that of the scag that was the final decision maker. The 16 mph stat only came into play on transport on some of my larger clusters of lawns you can cut at that speed when your typical lawn is half an acre or less.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
2012 I demoed a cheetah with the brigs this year I got to use a brand new never used before 61 cheetah with the 31 Kawasaki for more than 100 hours. The cut was typical scag acceptable at best sometimes worse. I had certain lawns that came out very bad then for the added insult double cutting made them worse.

The controls were outstanding and mechanically it was a very nice machine other than the deck. Yet I bought 2 new exmark X series instead a 60 with the 34 hp fuel injection with red tech and a 72 with the 38 hp fuel injection with red tech. My reasons were simple the scag with the kawi or the brigs proved to be a gas PIG. 2 gallons an hour it would kill the 7.5 gallon side tank in under 4 hours. I got larger more powerful mowers instead and my fuel consumption is half that of the scag that was the final decision maker. The 16 mph stat only came into play on transport on some of my larger clusters of lawns you can cut at that speed when your typical lawn is half an acre or less.
I have run Kohler efi since 2006, but are you saying your Exmark with a 72" deck and a 38 hp efi engine is only burning 1 gph?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Was told scag will be offering EFI next year on the Cheetahs. We will have to wait and see if true.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I have run Kohler efi since 2006, but are you saying your Exmark with a 72" deck and a 38 hp efi engine is only burning 1 gph?
About 1-1.2 depending on what I'm doing with her.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think that may have more to do with the Red tech on the mower. You have a low a medium and a high setting. The medium will rev the motor up when you engage the blades where the high will rev it down to engage the blades. But all 3 settings allow for a different blade speed I find the medium what they call efficient mode works great for all my cutting the speed seems to be capped around 10.5-11 mph but only when the blades are on when off medium is like 7 mph. So for transporting off the lawn you kick it into high and get 11.5 mph and it feels like a turbo button. So by choosing the mow in either low or medium you are cutting at a slower engine rpm and that is how they got the efi to use even less fuel.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I think that may have more to do with the Red tech on the mower. You have a low a medium and a high setting. The medium will rev the motor up when you engage the blades where the high will rev it down to engage the blades. But all 3 settings allow for a different blade speed I find the medium what they call efficient mode works great for all my cutting the speed seems to be capped around 10.5-11 mph but only when the blades are on when off medium is like 7 mph. So for transporting off the lawn you kick it into high and get 11.5 mph and it feels like a turbo button. So by choosing the mow in either low or medium you are cutting at a slower engine rpm and that is how they got the efi to use even less fuel.
That is really amazing fuel efficiency, I am a strong advocate of Kohler's closed-loop EFI system. Kawasaki's DFI open-loop system is not even close in efficiency
Old 11-29-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I was quoted $13000 for the 34 hp efi 60". Is that about right?