Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
Half tons are light duty trucks with small brakes, less springs, light duty rear & front ends! Overloading every day will cost you more in the long run, you will break springs and shockmounts, burn up bearings and brakes and piss off the dot!

I will agree that a 1/2 ton is nothing more than a passager car with a Bed. To me real trucks are 3/4 ton heavy duty or bigger. But at the same time we are not too far from those third world counties that Load 42 people in a VW Minni Van.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Add another 250 for skid and add the decreasing weight of fertilizer...

Two 50 skids with motors, fert, and sometimes pulling a trailer...could stop on a dime in my Tacoma...the added weight in the rear of an otherwise empty truck helped braking.

If a Tacoma can do it I know a full size truck can...unless Ford and Chevy make trucks wimpier than a compact single cab Tacoma.

People pull 3000-4000 pounds of trailer and mower everyday with F150's with no trailer brakes...if it can't handle 1000-1200 pounds of skid and fert in the bed, the truck aint worth having and Ford should consider another line of business. A 100 gallon skid in an F250 or larger is a waste of truck...he aint haulin a skid steer.

You people go overboard...for all you folks that haul mowers with an F250...you should get an Isuzu NPR like me...bigger brakes, heavier springs and a big ole diesel engine. Talk about a truck that couldn't stop in an emergency!
Posted via Mobile Device
I felt exactly the same way when I owned a Tacoma. Truth is most full size trucks can't compete with a Tacoma. My Tacoma had 302,000 original miles when It was t-boned and totaled. I now have a full size truck and honestly don't notice much difference in payload or pulling a trailer.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I purchased a half ton (new silverado 2013) 12 months ago. I love the truck, extended cab all star edition LT. It rides like a caddy, plenty of leg room, beautiful interior, 18.5 mpg with the 5.3 and the new six speed tranny. I love the truck, however, i wouldnt dream of loading it up and working it on a daily basis! Its my personal vehicle, i use it for sales, fetching parts, hauling the treks and the kayaks, etc. Its not a worktruck. My duramax 3500 and my cabover are worktrucks!
Old 12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hopefully someday i can get to a point where i can purchase a 2500HD. for now, i'm having to make due with what i have. the 100gallon skid is no issue in this half ton truck. I never thought i would make this a work truck myself, as it was my personal vehicle that i babied for so long. its an 07, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldn't put anymore than the 100gallon skid in this truck. Its Good on gas atleast. My goal is a 2500 HD with a bigger skid eventually. I just feel good that everything is paid for for now! saving up the cash for a bigger truck later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
I purchased a half ton (new silverado 2013) 12 months ago. I love the truck, extended cab all star edition LT. It rides like a caddy, plenty of leg room, beautiful interior, 18.5 mpg with the 5.3 and the new six speed tranny. I love the truck, however, i wouldnt dream of loading it up and working it on a daily basis! Its my personal vehicle, i use it for sales, fetching parts, hauling the treks and the kayaks, etc. Its not a worktruck. My duramax 3500 and my cabover are worktrucks!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy that time comes for a 250 HD you will need some thing bigger to get more done.

Charles Cue
Old 12-07-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Buy that time comes for a 250 HD you will need some thing bigger to get more done.

Charles Cue
Agreed. I started out with a 2500, still use it everyday. It hauls 300 gal tank and zmax. Invested into my company and bought 3 ex Tg Isuzus, best money ever spent. The cab overs are the way to go IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I see your trucks in my area now and then, they look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
Agreed. I started out with a 2500, still use it everyday. It hauls 300 gal tank and zmax. Invested into my company and bought 3 ex Tg Isuzus, best money ever spent. The cab overs are the way to go IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I see your trucks in my area now and then, they look good.
yes they do look good. westley runs a jam up operation. he aint skeered of success