Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-30-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wells Cargo Enclosed?

Thinking about switching from an open trailer to enclosed for next season. I've weighed the pros and cons. Still not sure. But I found a 2013 Wells Cargo 7x14 enclosed. Side entry door and ramp door in rear. The ad says "extended height" option too. I mow about 3 days a week and run a Scag Tigercat 61" w/ Bagger and a Scab 36" WB, a 21" push mower, two wackers, 2 blowers and a stick edger. I think it'll all fit in there if I plan it out well.

How are these Wells Cargo trailers? Will they hold up OK or are the lower quality? I'm solo and I baby my equipment, but I'm sick of having junky trailers. I'll have to either keep my current 16 open trailer or sell it and get an equipment trailer to haul my Kubota for mulching, brush mowing and other misc jobs. That doesn't bother me much. I really like the idea of a mini "mobile" shop that I can lock up and store all my mowers out of the weather. Right now, I keep my mowing rig set up and just back it in to my garage. But during the winter I run real tight on space in my barn for storage. With the enclosed, I can just park it and forget it.

So long story short, your thoughts on this brand?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know much about that brand , the GVWR is what you should look at also , with what you are hauling you will need no less than a dual axle 7000lb trailer but I would recommend a 10,000 I purchased a 7000lb dual axle enclosed trailer and I carried a 60 z 52 walk and a push mower plus all the smalls , the trailer had a lot of problems holding up , I had to overlay the floor because of the zero turn all the weight is on those 2 back wheels so the floor was sagging a little , after 2 years of use I noticed the back corner started saging the frame underneath was cracking were the springs were framing out and made dents then over time they cracked so I got rid of it , want a good box trailer 10,000 lb GVWR and torsion axles the extra gvwr will require closer spacing of floor supports making a stronger floor , radial tires etc. anything less than this you will need to be very gentle with hauling it everyday etc just my opinion , hope it helps.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

enclosed trailer

Not sure if your mower with bagger will fit in the door.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was concerned about that as well. I might check it out tomorrow, if I do, I'll measure it.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The measurement you want to check is the distance between the two lift cables for the ramp gate that is the shortest point , my 60" fit fine on a 7ft wide trailer but with a bagger it may be tight.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wells Cargo builds a high quality trailer. I have 6'x12' with the torsion axles.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wells Cargo is a very high quality trailer, but as with most all trailer mfg's, they have lower end and higher end models. main things you want to look for are 16'' OC floor and wall spacing(tubular crossmembers and wall supports preferred) , 1 piece roof, 3/4'' plywood floor, 3/8'' or thicker walls. probably forgetting some stuff but those things will give you a fairly sturdy box. is it a V nose?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah it's a v-nose. I didn't get a chance to look at it yet. Still torn between getting a new open trailer or getting an enclosed. I can't decide......
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose's Mowing View Post
yeah it's a v-nose. I didn't get a chance to look at it yet. Still torn between getting a new open trailer or getting an enclosed. I can't decide......

I switched to an enclosed this year. Its worked out very well. I'm much more organized now.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm in the same boat, i need a bigger trailer for next year. only thing keeping me from enclosed is what to do with leaves next fall