Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
When it comes to gardens it is easy to fix the clay problem. Organic gardeners fix the clay problem on a regular basis but with lawns that involves a lot of work at the expense of the homeowner.
Well this is what we are trying to talk about,,, what can be done to lawns that is effective, inexpensive and has proven successful over time...
I've done various things over time, but I learned from the farm fields as a child to NOT do any mechanical manipulation of heavy soils when it is too wet because it causes what we refer to as, "Puddling"...

Adding a sandy compost(manure compost is sandy) after plugging a lawn go a long way to enhance infiltration, percolation and drainage from my experience...

If there is disagreement to these issues,,, then a point by point discussion should ensue...
Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Basically for lawns aeration followed by a good compost layer 2X per year will help the lawn in a great way. I personally have been finding a layer of powdered wood mulch on a lawn works (here) tremendously. When I used to aerate and seed I found that my grass seed that grew in the flowerbeds grew and looked way stronger. I wanted to know..... why? Maybe tannins, fungus and humus? Whatever it is powdered mulch works great and is small enough to break down more quickly. Anyone want to add to this?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Basically for lawns aeration followed by a good compost layer 2X per year will help the lawn in a great way. I personally have been finding a layer of powdered wood mulch on a lawn works (here) tremendously. When I used to aerate and seed I found that my grass seed that grew in the flowerbeds grew and looked way stronger. I wanted to know..... why? Maybe tannins, fungus and humus? Whatever it is powdered mulch works great and is small enough to break down more quickly. Anyone want to add to this?
Powdered mulch makes sense,,, but what is it??? Sawdust???

Sawdust from a chain saw will actually kill grass around here if it isn't cleaned up adequately...
Old 12-02-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Its at my mulch yard. Its not sawdust from a chainsaw. Its ground so small maybe its pulpwood bark. I know this, it doesn't cause any denitrification of soil which is great. Its real fine in texture stuff.