Register free!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

2 sales for every 100 detailed estimates left on a door?? A lot of time and effort for not a whole lot of return...

I suppose if you've got nothing better to do....

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. Putnam,
You hit the nail on the head. I have absolutely nothing better to do. I did 500 homes a day on very windy days and got around 10 customers per day. They were match box homes. I enjoyed it and you're right. nothing better to do on windy days. For a small operation myself 10 in one day wasn't bad but thanks for your concern.

I suppose you're right.....
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've never tried door to door and do my marketing mostly through targeted mailing(also have web site and trucks lettered). We are not a huge company and I do all apps myself.

We still like to step on the lawn for estimates but have given quotes over the phone ---- gave high end quote with disclaimer about ease of application.

One idea may be to do a cluster of door to door sales when you are asked to give an estimate. You are already there so no extra drive time and it's always nice to have a stop with 3-4 homes side by side.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
Mr. Putnam,
You hit the nail on the head. I have absolutely nothing better to do. I did 500 homes a day on very windy days and got around 10 customers per day. They were match box homes. I enjoyed it and you're right. nothing better to do on windy days. For a small operation myself 10 in one day wasn't bad but thanks for your concern.

I suppose you're right.....

No concern here... I don't care what you do with your time. We have very few "match box" homes, so those stats wouldn't work/happen here.

"Match box" home lawns are where the real money/profit is if priced right and routed properly.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 12-02-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Since no one on here has any input or data I guess I will try it and report back.

I am excited to atleast try it.

We have found something that we really didn't think would work and it has been working better then almost anything we have tried.

I even had sometime that knows the industry well tell me we were wasting time and money and they were totally wrong.

Anything can work if done professionally and correctly.
It's all about presentation and timing...I just gotta figure it out.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just use due diligence as to how you approach "block marketing". Remember that a lot of people will warm up to door-to-door as much as they do telemarketing, and bulk mailers. (i.e. TruGreen, Scotts and Weed Man.)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The key to this marketing strategy is lil cost!

Granted we already do a lot of marketing but you can spend 10's of thousands on TV Radion and postcard mailing and may or may not get a good response or better yet ROI.

With block leading u have a lil labor and nothing else.
If u go out a time or two and it doesn't work then u quit.

I think used in combination with what I listed above as part of a marketing program it can work.

As started...just don't know til u try
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

give it a shot! im interested in your results. Like I said I didn't try that exact thing but I got good results with the door to door estimates and that's somewhat similar. I think its a great idea
Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't even knock on doors from leads unless I have a phone number and name so I can talk to them first and set up an appointment.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I don't even knock on doors from leads unless I have a phone number and name so I can talk to them first and set up an appointment.

I am not at all aggressive with the people we market to or leads/referrals but if you don't pursue leads/referrals or new ways of marketing u will grow very slow or not at all.

If you want success you need to step outside ur comfort zone.

Period!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device