Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Interesting videos, gives people a view of what rough cutting would look like if defined by pictures in a dictionary. Not many mowers would hold together dealing with that type cutting, Hustler will come as near as any mower in its class, but you already know this from experience.

If you get a chance I would like for you to check the speed of your new mowers to get a comparison. I can promise it will be much faster than your older model Super Z.
Puppy give me your method for testing speed of mower so its accurate, and will do it as soon as I get to a smoothish property. I did use the machine and cut for about 2 hours on a large park. It is definitely fast but cannot go full speed, due to undulations in terrain. The deck clanked even with flex forks. I love the mowers and they are far superior so far to my others, oh my 2005 is just a regular Hustler Z, not a super z.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimkill View Post
Puppy give me your method for testing speed of mower so its accurate, and will do it as soon as I get to a smoothish property. I did use the machine and cut for about 2 hours on a large park. It is definitely fast but cannot go full speed, due to undulations in terrain. The deck clanked even with flex forks. I love the mowers and they are far superior so far to my others, oh my 2005 is just a regular Hustler Z, not a super z.
Locate a flat 200' distance, have a marked beginning and end to the measured distance. You can use a flat road to perform the check, but you need to check the time by clicking a stopwatch while running full speed when crossing the start point, and perform several runs from each direction in case there is a slight grade involved. Make six passes, three from each direction while recording the times, take and average of the six runs and post the time.

I can promise if you had the regular Hustler Z you are totally blown away by the difference in the new machines in all respects. No, you will not be able to mow full stick, but you will definitely mow much faster than the old machine. A small amount of speed difference in a days time really increases productivity, if you don't need the additional productivity, it will allow more free time for other things.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Puppy will do the test as soon as flat land dries out. I have already noticed a big difference in productivity at a Park we cut. shaved about 45 minutes to an hour off what the ferris was doing. I am happy with the machines, very happy, and just worked out a deal to sell all my bagged grass to a large riding stable. Make money charging more for grass pick up and then make more selling it good times.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Puppy will do the test as soon as flat land dries out. I have already noticed a big difference in productivity at a Park we cut. shaved about 45 minutes to an hour off what the ferris was doing. I am happy with the machines, very happy, and just worked out a deal to sell all my bagged grass to a large riding stable. Make money charging more for grass pick up and then make more selling it good times.
Since you said you don't mow at full sticks, is the added productivity more from the fact that the new machines have wider decks, more power, or both?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Since you said you don't mow at full sticks, is the added productivity more from the fact that the new machines have wider decks, more power, or both?
Hello Ridin, a combination of the two, for one it is faster by far than my 2005 hustler Z and with flex forks can cut as fast and maybe a little faster than the ferris due to flex forks. Its just that extra 3-5 mph gets the deck bouncing here. The extra foot makes a big difference due to the size of my contracts. That property that was rough is one of the smallest accounts I have. Most of my properties are over two acres- fifteen acres. Those pumps are strong and I can't wait to try them on my hill side cutting areas, I think will really increase productivity there. The machine also cut relatively thick grass at the park on the far end at a little over3/4 stick and did not leave a straggler behind that I could see. The ferris would have left a line there at that speed, so have not double cut once which I am very happy with. The engine is a 35hp vs. 32hp on the ferris which could account for why it goes through the grass easier at higher speeds. The ferris is also propane which causes it to loose some hp. The hustlers will be converted to propane in january. We will see then what difference that makes.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I assume there's a huge difference in price between propane and gas there?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

gas=$12.00 Propane=$4.50 just a little Used to be $4.00 for propane Im mad they increased it overnight by .50/gallon.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yikes!! How do your guys feel about pushing reel mowers?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Is any on the grass you are selling treated? If so it may not need to be fed to animals. Just letting you know.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Is any on the grass you are selling treated? If so it may not need to be fed to animals. Just letting you know.
No none of the grass is treated we take care of all lawn maintenance and we don't use anything on the grass down here. Thanks for the info though its good to know.