Register free!

Old 08-21-2005, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
I'm a know it all and he can sure as heck trust the info I give him on pruneing,alot more than he can trust what a web site can tell him..

Hey. He's been in business for 11 years, since he was........... wait, I'll look.

Since he was 11?????? He's 24 so he's actually been in business for 6 years. Why is it so important to inflate the years in business?
Anyway, yes you have to be careful what advice you take from here but as you said, I'd trust the Lawnsite experts more than a websites advice.
Use a combination of loppers and trimmer on the Juniper. I've done this kind of thing dozens of times. Be careful what limbs you lop though because, as was already said, you can leave a gaping hole if you cut the wrong branch.

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually think that you do a great disservice to the heath and appearance if you shear them. The natural look is much better for both the juniper and spruce that were inquired about.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. The two Junipers - there really isn't a fantastic way to prune these. That's why no landscape designer/architect uses these in planting anymore these days. They're horrible. You shear them and they just look silly and then it's a constant battle to keep them at bay. They're constantly trying to overgrow the area where you're shearing them away from. And you can't really "selectively prune" enough branches on those to really keep them at bay anyway. If they're outgrowing their area, they just need to go. Plus, they're ugly. So for that reason alone they need to go. In the last 15 years or so I've never had anyone ask me to do anything with those kind of junipers other than "please rip them out".

The globose blue spruce (Picea pungens 'globosa') is a variety we normally don't prune much. They stay pretty natural and compact on their own. I might lop off that odd branch on the bottom left because it seems to be hanging down and looks out of place. And I might make a few small cuts on it. But I wouldn't really recommend pruning that a lot. That's how they look. There isn't much that needs to be done to it.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon