Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a bunch of questions.
1. What do you guys cut your lawn heights at?
2. What do you do when it rains for a while knowing this will affect grass height?
3. How do you guys charge for add one like mulching, first time edging, monthly edging, fall clean ups, bed edging etc? Thanks all!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3sons View Post
I have a bunch of questions.
1. What do you guys cut your lawn heights at?
2. What do you do when it rains for a while knowing this will affect grass height?
3. How do you guys charge for add one like mulching, first time edging, monthly edging, fall clean ups, bed edging etc? Thanks all!
Posted via Mobile Device
1. It all depends on the type of grass I'm cutting. Each type of grass has an appropriate cut height range.

2. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, can you rephrase your question?

3. Rate per man hour times estimated number of man hours needed to complete job plus materials plus material markup equals price
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. W. Landscapers, Inc. View Post
1. It all depends on the type of grass I'm cutting. Each type of grass has an appropriate cut height range.

2. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, can you rephrase your question?

3. Rate per man hour times estimated number of man hours needed to complete job plus materials plus material markup equals price
let's say you mow one week and then it rains for say 2 weeks and now the lawn is to high. do you have to tell the customer I gotta charge you more money because now I have to Bag the grass what do you do? Thanks, also you mentioned man hours and overhead is there a software or I should say a free software where I can come up with a selling price thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemy3sons View Post
let's say you mow one week and then it rains for say 2 weeks and now the lawn is to high. do you have to tell the customer I gotta charge you more money because now I have to Bag the grass what do you do? Thanks, also you mentioned man hours and overhead is there a software or I should say a free software where I can come up with a selling price thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Mow when it isn't raining…you have to hustle...you might have to work longer hours and full weekends to get all your properties done. I don't bag grass I only mulch but I'd suspect that some of your clients might be pissed if you tried to charge them more this week because it rained last week. If you do plan on charging more when regular weekly service is skipped, you might want to establish your higher rate up front when you contract with your clients and have it all documented in writing what will determine your higher rates being applied.

You can use a pencil and paper and a calculator or an Excel spreadsheet to calculate your numbers…just make sure you cover all your costs of doing business for the upcoming year and factor in profit and know approximately how many billable hours you will be a able to sell. Make sure you account for price increases to your costs so you aren't trying to play catch up…(i.e. last year's auto insurance was $1000, this coming year it might be $1100).

QuickBooks is a good accounting software but it is not free.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 12-06-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

You have given great advice. I have been looking at flyers, contracts. I want to print a flyer at home. What do you think it should say to get customers to call.

Also what should my contact look like thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not print flyers at home…it is a big waste of time and money that will produce a mediocre flyer that will do more harm than good when trying to bring in new business.

Get the flyers (personally I'd get door hangers) professionally printed. They will look much more professional than anything printed from a home PC. First impressions count and you want to make a good first impression. It is very economical and a lot less time consuming to have your marketing material printed for you. When considering doing the printing yourself, keep in mind that ink for your printer is very expensive and with full color advertisements with pictures will eat up those ink cartridges in no time and the cost of good quality paper purchased from the office supply store is also expensive. For about $400 to $500 dollars or so you could have 5000 door hangers professionally printed.

Get your business cards printed at the same time you have your door hangers printed. Trust me when I say that it is a complete waste of time and money to print your flyers and business cards at home and is more expensive than having it professionally printed…every minute you spend sitting in your office printing stuff and breaking apart the business cards is time you could put to better use distributing your marketing materials, hanging doors and networking with people or actually servicing a client who is paying you to work. Think of every minute of your workday that you are not directly billing a client for the time as a lost opportunity and $1.00 has been lost in potential revenue because you were printing flyers…if you spend 2 hours printing flyers, you just lost $120 in revenue…$120 lost revenue plus $200 in ink plus $600 for quality paper to make 5000 flyers equals a total of $920 for home printed flyers (good luck printing 5000 flyers in 2 hours you'd be lucky to get 500).

My contracts are posted in this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415514

My door hangers are posted in this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ighlight=flyer

When it comes to marketing materials, I subscribe to the philosophy that Less is More and always include a "call to action" which tells the person reading the marketing material what to do next…"Call"…"Call Now"…"visit us on the web"… At minimum you need to tell them: who you are, what you do, how to contact you, what to do next..."call"
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to say welcome. Nice to see more fellow Jersey people around.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrp12357 View Post
Just wanted to say welcome. Nice to see more fellow Jersey people around.
Thanks same here!
Posted via Mobile Device