Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pressure measurement question

My question is directed toward Boots but any input is welcome.

I'm wondering if installing a pressure gauge downstream of a centrifugal pump on a pool return might lend a clue as to the pumps perfoance. I've always used a vacuum gauge at the pump volutes for evaluations but it dawned on me that we use a pressure gauge on the filter to determine when the filter needs service, why not the pump.

I realize that the pool is a closed system, (meaning the intake and return are from the same resivoure) bit having no bulkheads (lack of a better word) one can only measure dynamic pressure.

Once a pump is in operation and the pressure recorded, the pressure could be compared anytime the pump was running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess no one knows
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I never did place many gauges on field plumbing, because outdoor gauges always died over the winter. They can't fail to be useful as a tell-tale, or a diagnostic aid.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
My question is directed toward Boots but any input is welcome.

I'm wondering if installing a pressure gauge downstream of a centrifugal pump on a pool return might lend a clue as to the pumps perfoance. I've always used a vacuum gauge at the pump volutes for evaluations but it dawned on me that we use a pressure gauge on the filter to determine when the filter needs service, why not the pump.

I realize that the pool is a closed system, (meaning the intake and return are from the same resivoure) bit having no bulkheads (lack of a better word) one can only measure dynamic pressure.

Once a pump is in operation and the pressure recorded, the pressure could be compared anytime the pump was running.
Posted via Mobile Device
What happens to your measurement when demand changes?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
What happens to your measurement when demand changes?
That's a good point Chief. In the pool industry demand would decrease due to constriction or obstruction or increase due to breakage or additional pumps drawing off the return
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Jim, unless im misunderstanding you, the gauge on the filter would give you a pressure post pump and yet pre-filter.... To check pump performance, go by clean filter readings, although there are a lot of variables... water level in pool, clean skimmers, clean main drains, all valves in same spot...
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebs View Post
Jim, unless im misunderstanding you, the gauge on the filter would give you a pressure post pump and yet pre-filter.... To check pump performance, go by clean filter readings, although there are a lot of variables... water level in pool, clean skimmers, clean main drains, all valves in same spot...
We've always used the filter pressure as reference point for cleaning the filter. 8-12 psi is optimal clean filter pressure range. 18-20 psi and we clean the filter.

The pressure at the return should be somewhat higher due to the reduction in size of the orfice at the wall
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
That's a good point Chief. In the pool industry demand would decrease due to constriction or obstruction or increase due to breakage or additional pumps drawing off the return
So a change in pressure may or may not indicate a decrease in pump performance, but it may also indicate other potential problems in the system.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So a change in pressure may or may not indicate a decrease in pump performance, but it may also indicate other potential problems in the system.
That's what I'm struggling with. L
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That's what I'm struggling with. Looks like some in field experiments are in order.
Posted via Mobile Device