Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-19-2003, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

. I can not see where any of those would direct the grass back toward the ground. And if they did you would not have lift with that blade. [/B][/QUOTE]
The first blade the rapter has the most common with a mulching blade. If you look inward you will see how the blade pushes the grass down. The difference in that blade and a gator blade is the rapter is cutting with one blade and mulching with the other. Your gater blade is cutting and mulching with the same cutting suface.Like i said they the gatoer stayes on the shelf.
John
Old 09-20-2003, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah John, the middle one is what im after. So they do very well in the leaves? What combo do you use them with...if any?
Old 09-20-2003, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi mac
The middle one is i think a rotory blade. It does very well at chopping up dry leaves and dry grass. The front one is a rapter by stens that does a great job in almost all conditions but you will mow a little slower and i;m having a hard time getting them,that back order thing.
John
Old 09-25-2003, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

John ,

The reason you might be having trouble getting the "Raptor" blade from Stens , is because Stens is recalling them. The company that acually makes them has recieved reports of blade failures(cracking/breaking etc.) I sell Stens parts and recieved a letter from my distributor that they will refund the customers money or replace the blades... Stens will replace them with their "new" "re-designed" mulching blade.

Contact your local distributor or where ever you bought them.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks a bunch turfpro.I will in the morning.
John
Old 09-25-2003, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

No problem, I was informed this also applied to old used "Raptor" blades not just new ones..(which only made sence to me anyhow).
If you have any probs ,just PM me.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Sponsor

Gentlemen,
I would like to offer a little more insight to the workings of the Gator Blades. The Gator works because of two reasons. First they offer good lift which gives you the ability to get the grass off of the ground and in front of the cutting edge. Secondly the Gators, or the teeth of the blade, redirect the clippings back to the center of the deck so that they end up in front of the cutting edge over and over again. This redirecting of the clippings takes place until what is left is so fine that it falls to the ground. The blades pictured above direct the clippings toward the outside of the deck. This seems as though it would have very little mulching effect.