Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-29-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran both ,
landscape trailers (open) are built stronger and last longer than the same trailer package in the enclosed option and they are cheaper to purchase.

If you are looking at the cheapest way to make money and get the job done , the landscape trailer is the way to go , it is also versatile , haul brush all that stuff.

Box trailers stuff is out of weather , more secure and you can haul a bunch more stuff , just need to organize it properly to make it efficient. The price difference will be covered with the free advertising you get , logo it up and you have a rolling billboard with no monthly payment.

I think to make this decision you really should check with your employees also , the box trailers are harder to back up , because all you see is the front of the trailer so if you guys do a lot of backing in tight areas this may be a problem for your guys, if the workers and trucks ( because you will tow more I recomend a 2500 or f250 up for box trailers ) can handle the towing of the trailer , and you organize it well then the downsides to a box trailer is minimal compared to the positives , but if your guys are rough on stuff and beat everything up then the box trailers are not the best cause they will not last long if you do not take care of them , just my past experience , people helping me have ripped the trimmer racks off wall etc , so vs a open trailer were when welded on they are very difficult to mess up , just stuff like that , Me personally I like the box trailers but there are advantages and disadvantages , and depending on how you operate and the way you are set up kinda depends on weather its a right decision for you. just my opinion.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are the pros and cons of the flat front vs v nose
Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

V nose probally better at cutting through the wind if driven on interstate , flat nose you have room for a rack in front on the tongue for like gas cans or something , snow sheds off the top of the flat front trailers better than the V nose because of the roof design as well but I think its more preference.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
What are the pros and cons of the flat front vs v nose
Next time you are driving down the highway stick your hand out the window point all your fingers up to the sky…that's what it is like to have a "flat front". now point all your fingers in the direction you are traveling…that's what it is like to have a "v-nose"…after doing that you should be able to identify the pros and the cons.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
I have ran both ,
landscape trailers (open) are built stronger and last longer than the same trailer package in the enclosed option and they are cheaper to purchase.
I agree. All depends on your application. I own both and will be selling my enclosed at some point or just keep it as a storage shed in the winter. An open trailer is much more efficient for just mow and go.

If you are looking at the cheapest way to make money and get the job done , the landscape trailer is the way to go , it is also versatile , haul brush all that stuff.

Box trailers stuff is out of weather , more secure and you can haul a bunch more stuff , just need to organize it properly to make it efficient. The price difference will be covered with the free advertising you get , logo it up and you have a rolling billboard with no monthly payment.

I think to make this decision you really should check with your employees also , the box trailers are harder to back up , because all you see is the front of the trailer so if you guys do a lot of backing in tight areas this may be a problem for your guys, if the workers and trucks ( because you will tow more I recomend a 2500 or f250 up for box trailers ) can handle the towing of the trailer , and you organize it well then the downsides to a box trailer is minimal compared to the positives , but if your guys are rough on stuff and beat everything up then the box trailers are not the best cause they will not last long if you do not take care of them , just my past experience , people helping me have ripped the trimmer racks off wall etc , so vs a open trailer were when welded on they are very difficult to mess up , just stuff like that , Me personally I like the box trailers but there are advantages and disadvantages , and depending on how you operate and the way you are set up kinda depends on weather its a right decision for you. just my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both. I bought an enclosed a few months ago and seldom use it. I may sell it or just keep it for winter storage. For primarily mowing purposes an open is much more efficient. Now if you don't have a storage building for equipment I can see where putting up with the negatives of an enclosed maybe worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
I would keep open for fert.
We have two enclosed and two open.
Enclosed for mow and maintenance .
Open for fert for one reason. Clean up. Fert ears everything and with all the nooks and crannys in the enclosed we found the fert to eat enclosed trailer up pretty quick.
Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
? do you do liquid only or gran if granular then how do you keep it dry it it rains on a open trailer?

Training them early
Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought an enclosed this spring and used it for about 5 ish months my original intentions were to use it as a Mobil shop keep everything I need ect , I ended up switching back to open for my operation because I was doing 8-20 lawns a day and it slowed me down and I just found myself throwing weedwackers and blowers in the back of the truck more so then not. Plus manoberbility was a problem at some of my property's on dead end streets with no turning space, plus the Mobile shop dident end up working out as everytime I needed something I'd have to climb over mowers ect, It was an 16+2 v nose and I was still
Only getting around 8-10 mpg with an 2013 chevy 2500, now that I switched to open my gas bills almost 300 dollars less a month. In the big picture If your just doing mow blow and go opens the way to go if your doing 1-2 big commercial property's a day or high end full maint resi I'd go with enclosed, ill problay pick up another enclosed this spring as I will problay have to split into 2 crews due to work load. And use the crew with the large enclosed for commercial property's and full maint resi where we take care of everything .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I started using enclosed trailers in 1989 and never looked back, or thought for a second that there was a downside. Your truck mirrors DO need to allow you to see down the sides for changing lanes and backing up. We make a dozen stops a day, rarely go down interstate highways, and the equipment is dry and secure. I just strap the mowers to the wall with cam straps so they don't move around. never had a problem.
I wouldn't get them with axles smaller that 6000 lb. ea. or tires that aren't 16". I also don't like the thin wavy skin ( .025, .030,.035) on all the cheapy trailers. The 1989 trailer was retired in 2001. I reskinned my 1998 two years ago with .060
I've hauled fertilizer in them, but its a bad idea. the frame on my 2001 has some major corrosion by the side ramp door hinge. I need to get it fixed.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I also insulated and paneled my enclosed trailers. Mush more comfortable to work out of. Bare skinned in just a sweat box. Factory insulation and paneling is cheaper than doing it yourself unless you don't value your time.