Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-27-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know how many accounts you plan on doing but if gas is running you $800 a month you should bemowing quite a bit. Gas runs me (handhelds, mower and truck) about $50 a month, however, all my accounts are within a two mile radius; which leads to some more advice, I would try and clump you're accounts together as best you can, and don't be afraid to turn down work that's a far drive away. There is no money to be made driving twenty miles to mow a yard for $120 a month.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$50/month? Can't imagine even $50 a week being possible.

We have a pretty tight radius and $800/month is light.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
I don't know how many accounts you plan on doing but if gas is running you $800 a month you should bemowing quite a bit. Gas runs me (handhelds, mower and truck) about $50 a month, however, all my accounts are within a two mile radius; which leads to some more advice, I would try and clump you're accounts together as best you can, and don't be afraid to turn down work that's a far drive away. There is no money to be made driving twenty miles to mow a yard for $120 a month.
Spending $50 a month on fuel? I hope you meant $50 a week, unless you mow like 3 small yard a week? Driving my vehicle without a trailer, $50 wont get me much.

Obviously the $800 dollar figure is out of the question as im a new buisiness, but im sure someone who does 40 yards a week definatly uses $600+ in fuel. I did say in my overhead that i was estimating high (to prepare for anything). When i start out the use of fuel will be different then a year from now, even a few months. Just guessing id say something like.. 10 yards/$50 fuel, 20 yards/$100 fuel.. etc for small yards.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

My wife works close to home ans drives a toyota and she burns more than 50.00 per week more like 65.00 per week for her.
I dont think you consider fuel as overhead we dont it is a exspense one that is only incurred as result of working so the more fuel your burning the more work you must be doing.
Overhead is insurance, phone, website, accountant fees, etc.. Anything that comes even if your not working.
I group all other exspense as cost of doing business equip maint. , taxes, payroll
Hopefully everyone sees my point
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
My wife works close to home ans drives a toyota and she burns more than 50.00 per week more like 65.00 per week for her.
I dont think you consider fuel as overhead we dont it is a exspense one that is only incurred as result of working so the more fuel your burning the more work you must be doing.
Overhead is insurance, phone, website, accountant fees, etc.. Anything that comes even if your not working.
I group all other exspense as cost of doing business equip maint. , taxes, payroll
Posted via Mobile Device
Fuel is an expense directly affecting p&l
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think you're overhead numbers are low. Under "extra" you should also include things like a CPA, maintenance costs, repairs, etc etc........ I think that extras column will be closer to 5-600 per month......... I also agree with having money ahead, your ride most likely isn't suited for commercial use, if a major component lets go not only does it affect your business but now you can't get to your 9-5 jmho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could not imagine doing this type of work with out a basic pick-up. Unk if selling the Buick is an option and possibly a very small loan for a basic used truck. I do think that will also go along with presenting a professional, knowledgable image. A inspected running presentable 2 wheel drive pick-up can be found for several thousand. This will immediacy allow you to haul debris and bring in any type of material needed. If it does not work out for you and you don't want the truck anymore it could be sold pretty quick for minimal to no loss. Echo makes a trimmer/blower combo attachment for a good price. That would allow you to blow off driveways and beds until you needed bigger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle Tennessee Lawn View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
Fuel is an expense directly affecting p&l
Posted via Mobile Device
Potato or Patato. Say it any way you want.

Expense, overhead all come out of the gross.

Just a way of labeling costs.

Even the terms fix and variable are not worth the price of the paper it is written on. Price of gas is variable though it is never going back down to 30 cents a gallon. Rent is fixed though tomorrow a business can find larger or small shop to rent for more or less money.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Potato or Patato. Say it any way you want.

Expense, overhead all come out of the gross.

Just a way of labeling costs.

Even the terms fix and variable are not worth the price of the paper it is written on. Price of gas is variable though it is never going back down to 30 cents a gallon. Rent is fixed though tomorrow a business can find larger or small shop to rent for more or less money.
It's "Potato". There is no such thing as "Patato".
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110