Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Florida timing of postcards

I wanted to get input from you guys:

1) when do you start mailing postcards for spring?

2) better to send three rounds of cards to a more targeted audience or to send 1 round to a wider audience?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started my business in 2006 I just printed nice flyers and went to work dropping them off in neighborhoods. It only cost me computer paper and Ink and my time. Cheap...do it in February and people will call . Most people keep the flyers and will call when grass is in full swing. I only advertised once and that was it. Now it is all word of mouth. No flyers no post cards. Just word of mouth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I work in an area with ten lawn companies at every stop light. I wish I could effectively win market share by printing and handing out fliers

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
When I started my business in 2006 I just printed nice flyers and went to work dropping them off in neighborhoods. It only cost me computer paper and Ink and my time. Cheap...do it in February and people will call . Most people keep the flyers and will call when grass is in full swing. I only advertised once and that was it. Now it is all word of mouth. No flyers no post cards. Just word of mouth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I definitely am going to try handing out some cards door to door as well through so they don't just get discarded as junk mail . Thank you Williams lcm ! Although a lot of the gated communities don't allow soliciting and are so expensive even if they do that going door to door would take forever, might scare people and the mailbox thing is a no no (not to get off topic...I do generally believe door hangers are better than postcards)

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by getdown; 12-06-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bump
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i had bad luck with postcards. 4 years ago a did a mailout with beautiful postcards to three specific upper middle class neighborhoods and i got bupkis. i did 3 spaced out two months apart. it was a complete waste of money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[Some of the gated communitys you can advertise in there local flyer handout. Yes there is a lot of lawn guys out there but most don't do quality work or are not dependable. What I found out works great is leaving an estimate at the door. Since you are already there you might leave an estimate for basic lawn service. So when they call you basically they know the price. It works
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
[Some of the gated communitys you can advertise in there local flyer handout. Yes there is a lot of lawn guys out there but most don't do quality work or are not dependable. What I found out works great is leaving an estimate at the door. Since you are already there you might leave an estimate for basic lawn service. So when they call you basically they know the price. It works
Posted via Mobile Device
I like the estimate idea and I've used that in the past. Question: how do you get in the local flyer?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO Thanksgiving to Super Bowl is the wrong time to pass out fliers or any advertisement. People are too involved with Buying or paying for X mas at that time and will not pay attention to any Lawn service.

My two best marketing times are YANKEE COME BACK in the fall and Right before SNOW BIRD GO HOME in the spring. I suggest waiting until after Super Bowl to pass Fliers. BTW Every Door Direct Mail from the US Post office is a good method of advertising with Fliers. Having been in Business for many years My time is better spend working on other things and not passing fliers. However I have passed a lot of fliers when I first started.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

IMHO Thanksgiving to Super Bowl is the wrong time to pass out fliers or any advertisement. People are too involved with Buying or paying for X mas at that time and will not pay attention to any Lawn service.

My two best marketing times are YANKEE COME BACK in the fall and Right before SNOW BIRD GO HOME in the spring. I suggest waiting until after Super Bowl to pass Fliers. BTW Every Door Direct Mail from the US Post office is a good method of advertising with Fliers. Having been in Business for many years My time is better spend working on other things and not passing fliers. However I have passed a lot of fliers when I first started.

Thank you that is great advice. I thought about doing eddm but I don't trust to PO. I mentioned that I would probably do my first round the third week of February...Super Bowl is Feb 2nd...do you think I should mail earlier or stick with the timing I mentioned? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device