Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
Thanks all for your responses. Like the hearing about all the high hour machines. At a price if over 11 grand for equivalent replacement it deffinatly seems like replacing the major components as needed is a decent way to go. The 20hp Kohler appears to be one of the better engines for long term durability in these machines.

The drive tires look almost new and the hopper is in amazing condition. The gear boxes look great as well. I'll spend the winter touching up some cosmetics with paint and a couple of new decals and replace the other tires with flat free replacements ect.
Posted via Mobile Device
A word of caution on flat free front tires. If you mow areas with curbs and hang the front tire over the curb to cut down on trimming, you will wear flat spots in the tires and will end up with a very bumpy deck. My flat frees didn't last very long before I chucked them.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
A word of caution on flat free front tires. If you mow areas with curbs and hang the front tire over the curb to cut down on trimming, you will wear flat spots in the tires and will end up with a very bumpy deck. My flat frees didn't last very long before I chucked them.
Makes sense great advice thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
Dragging the tire against a curb will damage/ware any tire along with the deck and turf. You should avoid doing that all together. We have used semi-pneumatic tires for years with no issues. Try to stay away from the solid tires for they are the ones that tend to get flat spots and chunk out on you quickly. We buy the Carlise semi-pneumatic tires that can be found on Ebay. Not trying to plug these guys but we usually buy them from Ken Jones Tires on Ebay. There are other choices too but we have had good luck through them.