Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need advice on an air compressor.

I bought this one last week, it died the second time i used it...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...air-compressor

I'm taking it back tomorrow and gonna look for another brand. Any suggestions? I'm looking for one about the same size as i just need something to top off my tires occasionally so i don't always have to run to the gas station to do it. I don't use air tools or anything like that. looking to spend around $200.00 on a new one.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need advice on an air compressor.

Husky makes a 20 gal I believe, should do the job. We have a 60gal husky we got for I think $500.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I realize this one is out of your price range but I've had one for 4 years this month and it's used every day and twice on Sunday. It's a step down from the capacity/recovery of the old 2 stage I had prior to moving but, at my age, I've cut back basically to push and hand held stuff and don't need the capacity any longer.

Just my opinion, but if you ever contemplate having any air tools, this would serve you well.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...air-compressor.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 12 gallon Craftsman that is well over 20 years old. It still runs fine. I also have a 33 gallon Craftsman that's about 8 years old and it works fine too. You should try to stick to the brand names like Dewalt and Craftsman.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I may look into craftsman, i just never had much faith in anything with an engine with the craftsman name on it.. but I have seen these things for sale at pawn shops and what not that were still working, and i know they had to be old.. i just don't think they make things like they did 20 years ago though.

Is an oil lubricated pump going to be better and last longer? I see the husky 8 gal i'm looking at has an oil free motor, which would be nice to not have another piece of equipment to have to keep checking oil in but if its gonna last longer because of that it may be the only way to go.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
is an oil lubricated pump going to be better and last longer?

Yes...........

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
I may look into craftsman, i just never had much faith in anything with an engine with the craftsman name on it.. but I have seen these things for sale at pawn shops and what not that were still working, and i know they had to be old.. i just don't think they make things like they did 20 years ago though.

Is an oil lubricated pump going to be better and last longer? I see the husky 8 gal i'm looking at has an oil free motor, which would be nice to not have another piece of equipment to have to keep checking oil in but if its gonna last longer because of that it may be the only way to go.
Craftsman is just that....a name. They don't actually make anything anymore.
But hey, I have a bunch of Craftsman tools and stuff, I suspect everybody does.
14 yrs ago I bought a Craftsman two stage, 60 gal vertical tank compressor that still runs strong, I can't remember the last time I added oil to it. Maybe never. It's got a clear " bulls eye " level indicator window that I check whenever I drain the tank.
So yeah, if ya can afford it, an oil lubed compressor will out last any "oil-less" unit. Just stick with a small portable, name brand unit.

......AMF!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Craftsman is just that....a name. They don't actually make anything anymore.
But hey, I have a bunch of Craftsman tools and stuff, I suspect everybody does.
14 yrs ago I bought a Craftsman two stage, 60 gal vertical tank compressor that still runs strong, I can't remember the last time I added oil to it. Maybe never. It's got a clear " bulls eye " level indicator window that I check whenever I drain the tank.
So yeah, if ya can afford it, an oil lubed compressor will out last any "oil-less" unit. Just stick with a small portable, name brand unit.
FYI Sears Manufacturing is one town over from me and yes they make all sorts of things there. No tools. I got plenty of classmates that work there. Also next door to Sears Manu. is the repair shop where yes they still do warranty work but it's mostly remanu there. About 15 years ago Sears Manu had a big factory in Moline where appliances WERE made adn repaired. It's way gone, along with g-pa's job.

Who really cares? Just some FYI.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
FYI Sears Manufacturing is one town over from me and yes they make all sorts of things there. No tools. I got plenty of classmates that work there. Also next door to Sears Manu. is the repair shop where yes they still do warranty work but it's mostly remanu there. About 15 years ago Sears Manu had a big factory in Moline where appliances WERE made adn repaired. It's way gone, along with g-pa's job.

Who really cares? Just some FYI.
I'm pretty sure this thread and my post has to do with compressors/tools, not washin machines and such.
As fer craftsman tools: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_%28tools%29
Fourth paragraph under " History".
Pretty interesting read, I got some old ( early 50s) Dunlap tools that I thought were pretty darn good, come to find out, they were bottom line Sears! Who knew?

......AMF!

Last edited by BigFish; 12-08-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-G...7#.UqTYIfRDuvV

this is what i ended up with, the 8 gal husky from HD. It looks alot like the "jobsmart" brand i took back to tractor supply. I picked up an air ratchet while i was there too. It seems pretty good. tank filled up fast, not super loud or nearly as loud as the jobsmart brand. Its a small unit, i just don't have much room or need for anything bigger than this one. I used the air ratchet, and it worked well. Hopefully it will last a few years. It had the best reviews out of all the other ones i was looking at that where this size. I just couldn't bring myself to by a craftsman, the reviews were not so good.