Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Business model

Been doing some reading here over the last month or so and can't decide wether to dive in or not. I use to maintain an average of 80-120 bank owned lawns a week over the last few years and go out for several reasons. Mainly lack of consistent work from week to week. It was just a simple cut, in and out in 10-15 minutes. I had myself and two guys paying them per yard. After gas, payroll, taxes and Expenses I would net about 800-1000 a week. For the last three years I have been selling cars and its decent money but I'm tired of the bs that comes with it. My finances are getting better and my wife is about to start working for the first time since we have been together for 8 years. Have a 4 yr old an a 2 month old. My options are going back to college for who knows what or starting my biz back up. My mistake last time was I was 100% dedicated to the bank owned properties and not building my own clients. This time I'm thinking of a 70/30 split bank/customers and switching that ratio as I grow. My concern is making money beside just cutting grass. I mean I have to have 100 accounts a week just to make around 30-32k a growing season. Just don't know the right way to go about this and not just be a strictly mow guy. I have a local college by me where I can get a two year degree to help with knowledge of plants and things. Looking for the long haul, not a 2 year plan like my last go round. My thinking is doing the maintence side, flower beds, fert, light tree work. Kinda like a full service. I know employees are a pain and the quality goes down when not with them. My thinking would be mowing crew and maintence crew and trying to get back to 100-125 accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What are you asking?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
What are you asking?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mainly is that a good business set up? Be full service trying for one truck strictly mowing and another for landscape. iOS this how most are set up? Of course I'll do it all myself until I can justify. Just trying to develop more of a 5-10-15 year plan. I can't think of anything else I'd rather do. Just want it to be profitable and provide a stable future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most people start out solo. It takes time to build up enough customers to have two truck routes. I think you starting out with two trucks, two sets of equipment, two trailers, two crews, is going to put you in debt with a lot of operating costs and most likely not enough business to cover these bills.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Most people start out solo. It takes time to build up enough customers to have two truck routes. I think you starting out with two trucks, two sets of equipment, two trailers, two crews, is going to put you in debt with a lot of operating costs and most likely not enough business to cover these bills.
I plan on staying solo until work justifies. I was putting the pencil to paper and took a step back from my last go round and I thought I was making good dough. I was used to a full blown solid 5-6 day work load and starting totally over kinda sucks. And to only profit 30-35k mowing 90 residential lawns a week will not only take several years to fill but I'm wondering if its worth the head ache? I have plans to fill my down time while growing to that amount to have solid work year round, I guess I'm just torn if its worth it... I guess ifI I can make 50-60-70k several years down the road working for myself it's better than 100k working for the man and going to college four years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

My main question is was it worth leaving security and building a business. It would take myself about 90 cuts a week after expenses to clear what I make now. Plus the extra maintenance and fert... I loved running my business and constantly find ways to get back but just don't know if its financially doable. What is y'all's motivation to do this and what goals have you set for your business??
Posted via Mobile Device