Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-07-2013, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info! @echo yeah I already have a homeowner rider didn't plan on using it I guess I could if it comes down to it to start at least... @Dr yeah I agree with you already got the cash set aside for the 6x12 trailer and already in the process of ordering business cards/making shirts got the truck decals ordered! also already have most the handhelds to start with
@DA I will be targeting residential lawns til I get bigger/better equipment! I could take out a loan if need be or put the 3k down on a mower and make payments on it! which I've already started marketing for 2014 threw word of mouth/facebook/craigslist..also looking into a website
Old 12-07-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just meant not to go and purchase one as it will be a waste of money. Good luck with the venture.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 12-07-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

You gotta crawl before you walk. Yeah, start off with HOMEOWNER CRAP. Your budget is only $3000. What happens when you go out and buy used commercial equipment and start having mechanical issues? Each time you take it in to the shop it's gonna cost you a couple of hundred dollars. TRUST ME. You want to try and stay away from borrowing money (You'll sleep better at night). After your first season your HOMEOWNER CRAP will be run down of course. But you will have a lot of hard earned cash to RELOAD, RESTRUCTURE, and GROW. You should then be able to buy some ENTRY level new commercial equipment with warranty. Remember....... those other NEW GUYS out there with all their BIG FANCY NEW EQUPMENT will probably be selling it to you in a couple of years because they want to WALK BEFORE THEY CRAWLED.......... this is what they will be saying.... I can't make no money, those other guys are low balling the bids, it's not fair, I can't make my loan payments, can't find no helper (don't want to pay), the big companies got control of my area, and the complaints go on an on.....
Old 12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

@echo thank you good luck to you also this up coming season! @ gardner yeah I get what your saying, do a lot of my own equipment but don't wanna get something just to sink money into starting out, down the road might pick up a project down but not now..lmao at your comment about the new guys, my father in law was just talking about this when he got a quote from a local company bidding jobs in his neighborhood. He knew the guy was low balling and told him goodluck paying for his new equipment lol
Old 12-07-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A like new commercial walk behind can be bought for $2500. A homeowner model rider for $2500 isn't gonna make it through the season and will be sidelined while the wb is still making money. Whatever you do, buy good equipment. Doesn't have to be new, but do yourself a favor and spend the money once instead of multiple times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
A like new commercial walk behind can be bought for $2500. A homeowner model rider for $2500 isn't gonna make it through the season and will be sidelined while the wb is still making money. Whatever you do, buy good equipment. Doesn't have to be new, but do yourself a favor and spend the money once instead of multiple times.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with Echo here. With having such a low budget go ahead and purchase a decent walk behind. You won't regret it. A walk behind that has low hours and used will last you longer than brand new zero hour residential "walmart" "lowes" "homedepot" mower. Do not get a residential zero turn either. You'll be disappointed and will also end up getting behind when breaks down. A buddy of mine has a toro walk behind with jungle system has 400 hours on it with a 55" cut. He wants $1500 for it. He doesn't do lawn care anymore, but it's a great deal. Deals can be found. Just look for them and don't settle on the first thing you find. Shop around.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gardener's crew View Post
His BUDDY is probably one of those NEW GUYS that I was talking about. If his BUDDY was IN he would be building on that used commercial equipment instead of trying to sell it.
My BUDDY you speak of runs a very successful construction business and got to where he couldn't run lawn care landscape installs for his builds. Both was dragging him down. He let the one that didn't make as much go so in turn he has mowers he does not need or care about. He isn't hurting money wise and ran his landscape stuff for many years until his construction business took off and he started in the commercial line of construction. You should get some of the back ground before you assume you KNOW something. Just because someone is selling something does not mean the saler is not successful or they didn't make it.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The winter is the perfect time of year to find great deals on lightly used commercial equipment. For $3000 you should be able to find a nice hydro WB. Keep checking CL and be patient. The right deal will come up. Stay away from home owner crap as the cut quality and speed will not work well to build a business. A commercial WB will serve you well for many many years even as you grow into commercial ZTR mowers. It will be a good investment and a tool you will always need. A home owner machine is a throw away tool and a bad investment. Even if your business doesn't make it you can always sell a commercial mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-08-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$3,399
http://www.worldlawn.com/products/walk-behinds/36-2/

unless you don't like "CHINA CRAP"
Old 12-08-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure don't. $3999 or a few hundred less will get a new 36" Snapper Pro.
Posted via Mobile Device